1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the mass of unknown nucleus

1. Aug 25, 2004 #1
    OK having a slight problem finding the mass of the unknown nucleus.

Any help rearranging to find this using Newton's Gravitational law.

A hydrogen nucleus and a nucleus of an ‘unknown’ atom are stationary, 5.0 x 10 ^-10 m apart. The mass of the hydrogen nucleus is mh = 1.7 x 10 - 27kg and the electric charge of the hydrogen nucleus is e = 1.6 x 10 ^-19 C. You may assume that the electric constant ke, = 9.0 x 10^9N m2 C-2 and that the gravitational constant G = 6.7 x 10^-11N m2 kg -2.

The magnitude of the gravitational force between the hydrogen nucleus and the ‘unknown’ nucleus is 9.3 x 10 ^-45 N. State whether this force is attractive or repulsive. Calculate the mass of the ‘unknown’ nucleus that is necessary to give a force of this magnitude.

Thanks in advance

any help would be great!

J

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2004 #2
    There are many other parts to the question that i have worked . I just need help on rearranging the equation for this part.

4. Aug 25, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you know Newton's law of gravity:
    [tex]F = G\frac{m_1 m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

This can be rearranged to solve for one of the masses:
    [tex]m_2 = \frac{F r^2}{G m_1}[/tex]

5. Aug 25, 2004 #4
    Yes I know Newtons Law. I already rearranged to this equation but my figures don't seem to add up.

I have tried a few times now with my calculator and i was missing a minus sign on one the powers.

I have solved the problem

Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?