How to Calculate Maximum Current in an RLC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the impedance and maximum current of a circuit with a sinusoidal source. The solution involves using the equation Z = V/I and plugging in the values for R, L, and C. The phase shift between the maximum voltage and current should also be taken into consideration.
radicaled
The problem
The exercise goes like this:
A sinusoidal source v(t) = 40 sin(100t) its applied to a circuit RLC with L=160 mH, C=99 μF and R=68Ω.

Calculate
a) the impedance of the circuit
b) the maximum current

My solution
a)
If v(t) = 40 sin(100t) --> ω=100Hz

Z= [itex]\sqrt{R^{2} + \left(Xl-Xc\right)^{2}}[/itex]

Z = 108,86 Ω

b)
I know that
[itex]ic(t)= C\frac{dv}{dt} -> v(t)= \frac{1}{C}\int idt[/itex]
[itex]v(t)=Ri(t)[/itex]
[itex]v(t)= L \frac{di}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]v(t)=Ri(t) + L \frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int idt[/itex]

Ok, I'm stuck here. I know v(t), R, L and C. But I'm not sure how to get it.

Thanks for you help

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use your result from part (a)? [Hint: Is there an AC analog to Ohm's law?]

Last edited:
I guess you could. I'be been thinking this exercise a couple of hours and I miss it. But you can use the sinusoidal variables with the rest?
Z=V/I

You may use Z = V/I to relate the maximum voltage and the maximum current.

But remember that the maximum voltage does not occur at the same instant of time as the maximum current (phase shift). So, you should not try to use Z = V/I to related the current and voltage at the same instant.

Ok, but if I want to calculate the maximum current I'm going to need the [itex]v(t)=Ri(t) + L \frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int idt[/itex] ecuation, and I'm stuck there.
Otherwise, there is any other way to obtain the max current with the data I have?

radicaled said:
Ok, but if I want to calculate the maximum current I'm going to need the [itex]v(t)=Ri(t) + L \frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int idt[/itex] ecuation, and I'm stuck there.
Otherwise, there is any other way to obtain the max current with the data I have?

Yes, As I indicated above. You can use Z = V/I to relate the maximum voltage and current. Thus, solve this equation for I and plug in the values for Z and the maximum voltage.

What is the formula for calculating maximum current?

The formula for calculating maximum current is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

Why is it important to calculate the maximum current?

It is important to calculate the maximum current because it helps determine the maximum amount of current that can flow through a circuit without damaging the components. This information is crucial for designing and building safe and efficient electrical systems.

What factors affect the maximum current in a circuit?

The maximum current in a circuit is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of material used in the conductors. Temperature and the length and thickness of the conductors can also impact the maximum current.

Can the maximum current be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum current can be exceeded if the circuit is overloaded or if the resistance of the components changes. Exceeding the maximum current can cause overheating, damage to components, and even fire hazards.

How can the maximum current be controlled?

The maximum current can be controlled by using resistors, fuses, and circuit breakers to limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit. It is important to properly calculate and select these components to ensure they can handle the expected maximum current.