1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the molar entropy

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    They gave me a system with [itex]u=\frac{3}{2} pv[/itex] and [itex]u^{1/2}=bTv^{1/3}[/itex]
    So i know that [itex]p=\frac{2b^{2}T^{2}}{3v^{1/3}}[/itex]

And it says i have to use the third law of thermodynamics to obtain the integrating factor

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\lim_{T\to0}S=0[/itex]

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}\right)_{T}=T\left(\frac{\partial s}{\partial v}\right)_{T}-p[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So what i did is

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}\right)_{T}=T\left(\frac{\partial s}{\partial v}\right)_{T}-p\Rightarrow\left(\frac{\partial s}{\partial v}\right)_{T}=\frac{1}{T}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}\right)_{T}+\frac{p}{T}[/itex]

So we end with
    [itex]ds=\frac{4b^{2}T}{3v^{1/3}}dv[/itex]
    so ..
    [itex]s=2b^{2}Tv^{2/3}+f(T)[/itex]

I know the solution is just [itex]s=2b^{2}Tv^{2/3}[/itex]

But i don't know how to use the third law ot obtain the integrating factor and obtain the molar entropy without the uknown function of T

I also tried using the differential function of [itex]S(T,v)[/itex] like this
    [itex]ds=\underbrace{\left(\frac{\partial s}{\partial T}\right)_{v}}_{c_{v}/T}dT+\left(\frac{\partial s}{\partial v}\right)_{T}dv[/itex]

But i don't know if [itex]c_{v}[/itex] its constant, also even if so, it still wrong.

I don't know how to really solve this, please help, and THX ! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2
    All right i just solved it, so what i did is:

[itex]dS=\frac{dU}{T}+\frac{p}{T}dV[/itex]

knowing that

[itex]\frac{p}{T}=\frac{2}{3}\frac{b^{2}T}{v^{1/3}}[/itex]

and

[itex]du=\frac{2 b^2 T^2}{3 v^{1/3}}dv[/itex]

so

[itex]ds=\frac{2b^{2}T}{3v^{1/3}}dv[/itex]

to get finally

[itex]s=2b^2 T v^{2/3}[/itex]

Still didn't use the third law to obtain the integrating factor, i am puzzled why i should use it

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook