Photon Momentum Calculation for 25 x 105 erg Energy

• Thread starter melissajohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: in summary, photons do not have mass and their momentum is not given by p=mv. you need to find out the relationship between energy and momentum for a photon.
melissajohn
how do you calculate the momentum if the energy of photon is 25 x 105 erg?

i know p=mass*velocity
but i am not sure how to do this problem.

is the SI units of photons... erg? i just want to make sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
melissajohn said:
how do you calculate the momentum if the energy of photon is 25 x 105 erg?

i know p=mass*velocity
but i am not sure how to do this problem.

is the SI units of photons... erg? i just want to make sure.

What are ergs? Units of energy? units of mass distance and distance/sec2

And rearranging what is that mass * distance2/s2?

And Einstein's famous equation is E= ... what? mass times what?

And what units is that?

The SI unit of energy is the joule. An erg is a unit of energy in the cgs system where you use centimetres, grams, and seconds (hence cgs) as the fundamental units of length, mass and time, INSTEAD of metres, kilograms, and seconds.

Photons don't have mass, but they do carry momentum. This may seem strange, but it's because a photon's momentum is NOT given by p = mv. This equation is NOT valid for massless particles such as photons. You need to find out the relationship between energy and momentum for a photon.

ergs - yes units of energy.
what do you mean rearranging the equation?
Einstein equation is e=mc^2?

melissajohn said:
ergs - yes units of energy.
what do you mean rearranging the equation?
Einstein equation is e=mc^2?

I was merely pointing out that energy was in the same units you would find in the E=mc2

But that's not all because from that you can also come up with an expression for the momentum. While a photon has no mass it can be expressed as E = p*c or p=E/c.

Knowing the units of ergs and the speed of light in the same units then you might be able to determine the answer.

ok so...
if i want to calculate the momentum if the energy of photon is 25 x 105 erg

I would get...

p=E/c
(25*10^5 erg)/(3*10^8 m/s)= 8.3*10^-3 erg*m/s

is that correct?

thanks!

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a measure of how difficult it is to stop the object's motion.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What are the units of momentum?

The SI unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg * m/s), although other units such as gram centimeters per second (g * cm/s) can also be used.

How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects in the system remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of the objects will be equal to the final momentum, even if there are collisions or external forces acting on the objects.

How is momentum used in real life?

Momentum is used in many real-life applications, such as in sports (e.g. calculating the momentum of a hockey puck), transportation (e.g. calculating the momentum of a moving car), and in engineering (e.g. designing safer vehicles by considering the momentum of a crash). It is also a key concept in understanding the motion and behavior of objects in physics.