1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the new velocity

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4200-kg rocket is traveling in outer space with a velocity of 120m/s toward the Sun. It needs to alter its course by 23 degrees, which can be done by shooting is rockets briefly in a direction perpendicular to it’s original motion. If the rocket gases are expelled at a speed of 2200 m/s relative to the rocket, what mass of gas must be expelled?

2. Relevant equations

momentum = mass x velocity

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so i'm reviewing for my midterm and I don't remeber how to do this problem

I know I need to calculate the new velocity. That is easy.

Vy = 120 m/s tan 23 = 50.94 m/s

Now supposively the answer is 95 kg.
    I can't seem to get this answer for the life of me. I set up a quation like this

m1 V1 = (m1 + mg )Vy

I keep on getting the wrong answer how do i do this. I think i need help setting up the equation becasue I think I'm reading this problem wrong or soemthing here

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Momentum

Momentum in the "y" direction should be the same before and after. Before, the rocket has no velocity in the y direction, so its momentum in that direction is zero (I suspect you already get this part)

After the rocket burn, you essentially have two objects: the rocket and a mass of gas. Adding the momenta of these in the y direction should give you zero, but keep in mind that the rocket's mass is not the same because it lost some mass of gas. Can you write an equation for this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook