Calculating Magnetic Energy Between Plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic energy between two plates with a current density of J = 1 A/m2. The speaker suggests using Ampere's law to find the magnetic intensity inside the material and then using it to find the energy density and the energy inside a box of specific dimensions.
Roger Dalton
Homework Statement
Hello everyone!

Please, could anybody help me solving this exercise? I have some doubts about if my approach is correct:

Two infinite and parallel thin sheets carry equal surface current densities (1 A / m2), uniform and constant. The space between the sheets is occupied by a material of relative magnetic permeability 3. Calculate the pressure exerted on this material if A) The currents circulate in the same direction, B) if they circulate in n opposite directions.

Thanks in advance!
Relevant Equations
F = -grad(U_m)
The current density between the plates is J = 1 A/m2. So, I have to calculate first the magnetic energy in the whole space. Out of the sheets, there is no current, so the magnetic energy would be 0 in that places. Hence,

U = J(1/2) \int_{inside the plates}A(r)dr, where A(r) is the vector potential inside the plates.

Then, I would apply F = -grad(U), and as the pressure is F/S, I'll get the answer. Would it be correct? However, I don't know how to do that with matter between them.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The first approach I would try is not through the vector potential. I would use Ampere's law to find the magnetic intensity ##H## inside the material, use it to find the energy density ##u##, use it to find the energy inside a box of area ##A## and height equal to the plate separation. I think you know how to proceed from here.

Note: This is another old unanswered thread to be removed from the "unanswered" list.

Likes Delta2

What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is the potential energy stored in a magnetic field. It is the energy required to create a magnetic field or to move a magnet within a magnetic field.

How is magnetic energy calculated between plates?

Magnetic energy between plates is calculated using the equation E = μ0 * (m1 * m2)/(2πd), where E is the magnetic energy, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What factors affect the calculation of magnetic energy between plates?

The calculation of magnetic energy between plates is affected by the magnetic moments of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the permeability of free space.

Can magnetic energy between plates be negative?

Yes, magnetic energy between plates can be negative. This indicates that the magnetic fields of the plates are oriented in opposite directions and are repelling each other.

What are some real-world applications of calculating magnetic energy between plates?

Some real-world applications of calculating magnetic energy between plates include designing magnetic levitation systems, creating efficient motors and generators, and studying the behavior of magnetic materials. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics for various applications.