Calculate the resistance at 18 Celsius

In summary, the question asks for the resistance of a 5cm diameter close-wound, single layer coil of 1000 turns of 0.1mm diameter copper wire at 18 celcius and at 100 celcius. The formula for calculating resistance is R = rho*L/A, where rho is the resistivity of copper and A is the wire's cross-sectional area. This information can be found in chemistry or EE reference books or by searching online for "copper resistivity temperature."
kEEhOLDEN
cant do this question, well i can't figure out what I am supposed to do, whether its a thermistor or not, i worked out the inductance, but I am not sure what to do after that, here's the question

Calculate the resistance at 18 celcius of a 5cm diameter close-wound, single layer coil of 1000 turns of copper wire of 0.1mm diameter.

what would its approximate resistance be at a temperature of 100 celcius?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound like they want the inductance -- sounds like they are asking for the resistance of the coil at two different temperatures. You need the rho of copper, and it's tempco (temperature coefficient). The total resistance R = rho*L/A, where L = total length, and A = area (of the wire cross-section in your case).

If you have a chem table book or EE reference book handy, you can find the info in there. Or easier is to just google the following:

+copper +resistivity +temperature

and the first hit you get will give you what you need:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/BridgetRitter.shtml

BTW, I'm kind of a newbie to the PF forums, so I just learned recently that questions like this are supposed to be posted in the HW forums. So now I try to check out the HW question forums to see if I can be of help.

thanks that's very helpful, i jus joined the forums, that was my first post, so i haven't a clue what is going on in here anyways, cheers

1. How do you calculate resistance at 18 Celsius?

To calculate resistance at 18 Celsius, you will need to know the material's resistivity, the cross-sectional area of the material, and the length of the material. The formula for resistance is R = ρ * (L/A), where ρ is the resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area. You can find the values for these variables in a materials table or by conducting experiments.

2. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in electricity.

3. How does temperature affect resistance?

Temperature has a direct effect on the resistivity of a material, which in turn affects the resistance. As the temperature increases, the resistivity of most materials also increases, resulting in higher resistance. However, some materials have a negative temperature coefficient, meaning their resistivity decreases as temperature increases.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate resistance at any temperature?

No, the formula for resistance (R = ρ * (L/A)) only applies at a specific temperature. As mentioned before, the resistivity of materials changes with temperature, so the formula needs to be adjusted accordingly. Some materials have a linear relationship between resistivity and temperature, while others may have a more complex relationship.

5. How can I measure resistance at 18 Celsius?

To measure resistance at 18 Celsius, you will need a multimeter, which is a device used to measure electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance. Set the multimeter to the resistance setting and then connect the probes to the material you want to measure. The multimeter will display the resistance in ohms. Make sure to take into account the temperature coefficient of the material if it is not at 18 Celsius.