What is the Thevenin resistance in this circuit with a changable resistor?

In summary: The Thevenin resistance formula is Rth = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2).In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of maximum power transfer theorem and Thevenin's theorem in relation to a circuit with a variable resistor. The Thevenin resistance formula is mentioned as a way to compute the resistance seen from the load terminals, which is important for achieving maximum power transfer in the circuit.
diredragon

Homework Statement

In the picture below, is a circuit of constant direct current. The receiver is made of a changable resistor with resistance R. If the reciever delivers maximum electrical power its resistance is
a)9 b)6 c)3 d)1.5 e)0.5

Homework Equations

Im having trouble finding the equation for this

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find the theory of this curcuit, the equations that fit so can you guide me a little in any way that could help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up 'maximum power transfer theorem'. Are you familiar with the Thevenin's theorem?

cnh1995 said:
Look up 'maximum power transfer theorem'. Are you familiar with the Thevenin's theorem?
I am not but i will check it out now then try to apply something to the problem and get back to you :)

diredragon said:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/thevenin.html
I read about it from here but am having hard time understanding how ti apply it to my problem.
For maximum power transfer, the load resistance should be equal to the Thevenin resistance of the circuit viewed from the load terminals. Here, your load resistance is the variable resistor. Can you proceed with this?

cnh1995 said:
For maximum power transfer, the load resistance should be equal to the Thevenin resistance of the circuit viewed from the load terminals. Here, your load resistance is the variable resistor. Can you proceed with this?
Is the equation for thevenin resistance the one in the picture uploaded? If so how to get it if not all three resistors are known?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 367
diredragon said:
If so how to get it if not all three resistors are known?
For computing Thevenin resistance seen from the load terminals, you should remove the load resistance (variable resistance) and compute the resistance of the circuit seen from the load terminals.

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In equation form: R = V/I.

3. What are the factors that affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and the temperature of the conductor. Other factors such as impurities, pressure, and magnetic fields may also affect resistance.

4. Can resistance be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative. It is a measure of opposition to current flow, so it can only have positive values.

5. How does resistance impact electrical circuits?

Resistance impacts electrical circuits by reducing the flow of current and converting some of the electrical energy into heat. It also plays a crucial role in determining the overall behavior and functionality of a circuit.