• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calculate the resistance

Homework Statement

In the picture below, is a circuit of constant direct current. The receiver is made of a changable resistor with resistance R. If the reciever delivers maximum electrical power its resistance is
a)9 b)6 c)3 d)1.5 e)0.5

Homework Equations

Im having trouble finding the equation for this

The Attempt at a Solution

I cant find the theory of this curcuit, the equations that fit so can you guide me a little in any way that could help?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Look up 'maximum power transfer theorem'. Are you familiar with the Thevenin's theorem?

Look up 'maximum power transfer theorem'. Are you familiar with the Thevenin's theorem?
I am not but i will check it out now then try to apply something to the problem and get back to you :)

cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
For maximum power transfer, the load resistance should be equal to the Thevenin resistance of the circuit viewed from the load terminals. Here, your load resistance is the variable resistor. Can you proceed with this?
Is the equation for thevenin resistance the one in the picture uploaded? If so how to get it if not all three resistors are known?

Attachments

cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If so how to get it if not all three resistors are known?
For computing Thevenin resistance seen from the load terminals, you should remove the load resistance (variable resistance) and compute the resistance of the circuit seen from the load terminals.