1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the spectral interval (λmax, λmin, and Δλ) in which all the lines of the Ly

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the spectral interval (λmax, λmin, and Δλ) in which all the lines of the Lyman, Balmer, and Pashcen series (excluding their continuous parts) of the H-atom are found.

2. Relevant equations

Here is where I am confused.. do I use the Balmer's formula for H?

frequency = [1/4 - 1/n^2] * 3.29*10^(15)s^-1

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is.. I don't know what energy levels these series correspond to? Is this something I am just supposed to memorize??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Calculate the spectral interval (λmax, λmin, and Δλ) in which all the lines of th

For Lyman series, transition from n = 2 to n = 1 for λmax and n= ∞ to n = 1 for λmin.
    Similarly for the other series.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Calculate the spectral interval (λmax, λmin, and Δλ) in which all the lines of th

Is the equation I provided correct in this case??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook