1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the speed of the air

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    A problem i have encountered:

diagram at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/biggm/dia.jpg

Here is a u-tube open at both ends partially filled with water and oil with given density is poured in the right column so the height of the oil is 5.0 cm.

i have calculated the difference in height to be 1.25 cm.
    in the second picture, air motion on the right is shielded while air is blown over the left opening until the surfaces are at the same height.
    i am to calculate the speed of the air taking the density of air to be
    1.29kg/[tex]m^3[/tex].

I do not know how to create the equation needed to solve this.
    i am thinking i need to find the external pressure minus the effect of the blown air on the left since it is less than the right which is just the external atmospheric pressure.

thanks for help on this

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2
    anyone... .

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    someone ...anyone

5. Sep 21, 2005 #4
    right..the equation should be the same as last time for the two depths, but how does the speed of the air factor into the Po. On the side with the shield it will be just Po + density*g*h and on the other side it will be P + density*g*h. How can i factor the air into the equation for P on the left?

it must be Po - effect of air...but how

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?