Calculate the speed of the block

In summary, Gunnar said that he needs one kind of h to solve a problem, and he explained that the h is the distance from the pulley to the mass that is falling. He said that if the mass falls a certain distance, then the speed is v. He also said that there is no mistake in his explanation, and that it works.
gunnar
Hi. I have a problem.
Two metal disks with different radius and different weight are welded together. The smaller disk has a string wrapped around it with a block on the other end. I have to calculate the speed of the block after 2 meters. I'm trying to use this equation: v=sqrt(2gh/1+M/2m) to solve this. Where M is the total mass of the disks and block while m is the mass of the block. This is not working. Do you guys know a way around this, I guess I need some kind of a relation between the two disks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the entire problem. How are the disks set in motion?
Are they allowed to roll on a table with the block hanging over a pulley at the end of the table? Or something else?

If I've understood correctly the two disks act as a pulley with the mass at the end of the string. If it is the case you can work it as a typical solid rigid problem calculating the angular acceleration and relating it with the linear acceleration of the mass. Then it becomes a "semi-free" fall problem.

Or you can take the simpler approach of conservation of energy:

Supposing the pulley is fixed so its potential energy remains constant, the initial energy of the system is

[tex]mgh_1[/tex]

and the final would be

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(I_1+I_2)\omega^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2+mgh_2[/tex]

[tex]I_1[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex] are the moments of inertia of the disks.

you can relate [tex]v[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] by [tex]v=\omega r[/tex]

where [tex]r[/tex] is the radius of the disk where the string is wrapped.

I think you can work the rest. I think there's no major mistake, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
You understod the probmlem I think but I'm not quite following you Evil_kyo. I only need one kind of h since it's falling from 0 to 2 m. I have been trying to solve this with conservation of energy. I can't see from you equation what the tangential speed v should be, is the equation equal to zero or mgh?

With thanks,

Gunnar

gunnar said:
I only need one kind of h since it's falling from 0 to 2 m. I have been trying to solve this with conservation of energy.

The only kind of h that you need is nothing but Evil_Kyo's [tex]h_1 - h_2[/tex](taking origin at the pulley)
Since your [tex]h_1 = 0[/tex] and [tex]h_2 = -2[/tex],

Your only kind of h = [tex]\0-(-2) = 2[/tex]

I can't see from you equation what the tangential speed v should be, is the equation equal to zero or mgh?

Tangential speed cannot be mgh!

Last edited:
As prasanna has noted i haven't selected a origin for the potential energy.
[tex]h_1[/tex] and [tex]h_2[/tex] mean the initial and final position of the falling mass attached to the pulley. You don't know it but you know its difference [tex]h_1-h_2[/tex] that equals the length traveled by the falling mass 2 metres.

Conservation of energy states that the initial energy of the system equals the final energy, then

[tex]mgh_1=\frac{1}{2}(I_1+I_2)\omega^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2+mgh_2[/tex]

rearranging

[tex]mg(h_1-h_2)=\frac{1}{2}(I_1+I_2)\omega^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

now we have the equation relating the angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex] of the pulley and the linear speed [tex]v[/tex] of the falling mass.

[tex]v=\omega r[/tex]

Imagine the pulley rotates an angle [tex]\omega[/tex] in a unit of time, then the length of string unrolled is equal to the length of arc subtended by this angle [tex]s=\omega r[/tex]. If the pulley rolls [tex]\omega[/tex] in a unit of time the mass falls [tex]\omega r[/tex] in a unit of time, then [tex]\omega r[/tex] is the speed [tex]v[/tex] of the mass.

Using this equation we can simplify

[tex]mg(h_1-h_2)=\frac{1}{2}(I_1+I_2)(\frac{v}{r})^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]mg(h_1-h_2)=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{I_1+I_2}{r^2}+m)v^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2=\frac{2mgr^2(h_1-h_2)}{I_1+I_2+mr^2}[/tex]

It's finished if there is no major mistake, i hope this helps you.

It works, of course. Thanks a lot.
I love this place.

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a block?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time.

2. How do you measure the distance and time when calculating the speed of a block?

The distance can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape, and the time can be measured using a stopwatch or timer.

3. Can the speed of a block change over time?

Yes, the speed of a block can change over time if the distance it travels or the time it takes to travel that distance changes.

4. What units are typically used for speed?

The most common units for speed are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. How does the weight of the block affect its speed?

The weight of the block does not directly affect its speed, as speed is determined by the distance and time it takes to travel that distance. However, a heavier block may require more force to move, resulting in a slower speed.