1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the speed of the block

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    Hi. I have a problem.
    Two metal disks with different radius and different weight are welded together. The smaller disk has a string wrapped around it with a block on the other end. I have to calculate the speed of the block after 2 meters. I'm trying to use this equation: v=sqrt(2gh/1+M/2m) to solve this. Where M is the total mass of the disks and block while m is the mass of the block. This is not working. Do you guys know a way around this, I guess I need some kind of a relation between the two disks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand the entire problem. How are the disks set in motion?
    Are they allowed to roll on a table with the block hanging over a pulley at the end of the table? Or something else?
  4. Dec 8, 2004 #3
    If i've understood correctly the two disks act as a pulley with the mass at the end of the string. If it is the case you can work it as a typical solid rigid problem calculating the angular acceleration and relating it with the linear acceleration of the mass. Then it becomes a "semi-free" fall problem.

Or you can take the simpler approach of conservation of energy:

Supposing the pulley is fixed so its potential energy remains constant, the initial energy of the system is

and the final would be

[tex]I_1[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex] are the moments of inertia of the disks.

you can relate [tex]v[/tex] and [tex]\omega[/tex] by [tex]v=\omega r[/tex]

where [tex]r[/tex] is the radius of the disk where the string is wrapped.

I think you can work the rest. I think there's no major mistake, feel free to correct me.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  5. Dec 8, 2004 #4
    You understod the probmlem I think but I'm not quite following you Evil_kyo. I only need one kind of h since it's falling from 0 to 2 m. I have been trying to solve this with conservation of energy. I can't see from you equation what the tangential speed v should be, is the equation equal to zero or mgh?

With thanks,

6. Dec 8, 2004 #5
    The only kind of h that you need is nothing but Evil_Kyo's [tex]h_1 - h_2[/tex](taking origin at the pulley)
    Since your [tex]h_1 = 0[/tex] and [tex]h_2 = -2[/tex],

Your only kind of h = [tex]\0-(-2) = 2[/tex]

Tangential speed cannot be mgh!!!
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  7. Dec 8, 2004 #6
    As prasanna has noted i haven't selected a origin for the potential energy.
    [tex]h_1[/tex] and [tex]h_2[/tex] mean the initial and final position of the falling mass attached to the pulley. You don't know it but you know its difference [tex]h_1-h_2[/tex] that equals the length traveled by the falling mass 2 metres.

Conservation of energy states that the initial energy of the system equals the final energy, then

now we have the equation relating the angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex] of the pulley and the linear speed [tex]v[/tex] of the falling mass.

[tex]v=\omega r[/tex]

Imagine the pulley rotates an angle [tex]\omega[/tex] in a unit of time, then the lenght of string unrolled is equal to the lenght of arc subtended by this angle [tex]s=\omega r[/tex]. If the pulley rolls [tex]\omega[/tex] in a unit of time the mass falls [tex]\omega r[/tex] in a unit of time, then [tex]\omega r[/tex] is the speed [tex]v[/tex] of the mass.

Using this equation we can simplify

It's finished if there is no major mistake, i hope this helps you.
  8. Dec 8, 2004 #7
    It works, of course. Thanks a lot.
    I love this place.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?