How can I use the formula k=4pi^2m/T^2 to find the mass of a bolt?

In summary, in order to use k to find the mass of a bolt, you need to plot the values for ##m## and ##T^2## and use linear regression to find the slope, which will correspond to k in the equation ##k=4\pi^2m/T^2##.
Chely
Homework Statement
Use your data to calculate the spring constant, k, of the spring. (Hint: What variables do you need to plot in order to produce a linear graph in order to calculate k?)
Relevant Equations
T^2=\frac{{4\pi}^2}{\kappa}m,\ which\ can\ be\ compared\ to\ y=mx+c
k=\frac{{4\pi}^2m}{T^2}\Longrightarrow=\frac{{4\pi}^2.05}{{\mathbf{0}.\mathbf{965}}^2}
I managed to isolate k to k=4pi^2/T^2 however I don't know If I did it correctly. I am trying to use K to find the mass of a bolt. I am stuck here, not sure If i need to find all three k's and then average them out?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-10 233656.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-10 233656.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 104
Physics news on Phys.org
Chely said:
##T^2=\frac{{4\pi}^2}{\kappa}m##
which can be compared to ## y=mx+c##
##k=\frac{{4\pi}^2m}{T^2}\Longrightarrow=\frac{{4\pi}^2.05}{{\mathbf{0}.\mathbf{965}}^2}##

I managed to isolate k to ##k=4\pi^2/T^2 ## however I don't know If I did it correctly. I am trying to use K to find the mass of a bolt. I am stuck here, not sure If i need to find all three k's and then average them out?
I assume you mean ##k=4\pi^2m/T^2 ##. But then you used that with just one pair of values. The idea of having it in the form y=mx+c is to decide what x and y correspond to in your measurements then plot y against x and use linear regression to find the best fit. The slope then gives you information about k.

What is the formula for calculating the spring constant?

The formula for calculating the spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How do I measure the spring constant?

The spring constant can be measured by applying a known force to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The spring constant is then calculated using the formula k = F/x.

What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m). This represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by one meter.

Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the length of the spring, and the temperature. It is important to note that the spring constant is not a constant value, but rather a measure of the stiffness of a spring under specific conditions.

What are the applications of calculating the spring constant?

Calculating the spring constant is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to design and analyze systems that involve springs, such as suspension systems, shock absorbers, and mechanical devices.