Calculate Bridge Thickness for 35m Steel Structure | Deflection Prevention Tips

• Thread starter Mathijsgri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thickness
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of thickness for a 35-meter long, 1.2-meter wide, and 15000kg steel bridge to prevent deflection. It is stated that achieving no deflection would require infinite thickness, and the speaker requests a clearer problem statement. The original poster clarifies that they are designing a gangway and need to calculate the amount of deflection. The expert suggests seeking help from an engineering forum or obtaining a degree and relevant experience in the field.
Mathijsgri
If i have steal bridge that is 35 meter long, 1,2 meter and 15000kg , how do i calculate the
thickness so that de bridge doesn't deflect?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mathijsgri said:
If i have steal bridge that is 35 meter long, 1,2 meter and 15000kg , how do i calculate the
That would require infinite thickness to achieve no deflection at all. Perhaps you could state your problem less vaguely.

Mathijsgri said:
Is this question for schoolwork? If so, what is the exact problem statement?

phinds said:
That would require infinite thickness to achieve no deflection at all. Perhaps you could state your problem less vaguely.
I understand that it is not possible to have no deflection. I have to design a gangway(a bridge between a ship and a platform), it has to be 35 meters long and at least 1,2 meters wide. I estimated that will weigh around 15000kg. How do i calculate how much it deflect?

Mathijsgri said:
I understand that it is not possible to have no deflection. I have to design a gangway(a bridge between a ship and a platform), it has to be 35 meters long and at least 1,2 meters wide. I estimated that will weigh around 15000kg. How do i calculate how much it deflect?
You did not answer my question.

If this is for schoolwork, you need to post your question in the Homework Help, Engineering forum and fill out the Homework Help Template with the Relevant Equations and your Attempt at a Solution.

If this is for real-world work, you need to get your ME degree, pass the PE exam, and work for an Engineering company that carries liability insurance for the designs you work on.

This thread is closed until you can send me a PM to convince me that it should be re-opened.

What is the formula for calculating thickness?

The formula for calculating thickness is: thickness = volume / area.

What unit of measurement is used for thickness?

The unit of measurement for thickness can vary depending on the type of material being measured. Some common units include millimeters, centimeters, and inches.

How do you measure the area and volume needed for calculating thickness?

To measure the area, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the length and width of the object. For more complex shapes, you may need to use a formula specific to that shape. To measure volume, you can use a graduated cylinder or other measuring tool designed for liquids. For solid objects, you can use the formula: volume = length x width x height.

What are some common materials that require thickness calculations?

Thickness calculations are often used for materials such as paper, plastic, metal, and fabric. They are also important for building materials such as wood, concrete, and drywall.

How accurate do thickness calculations need to be?

The level of accuracy needed for thickness calculations can vary depending on the application. In some cases, a rough estimate may be sufficient, while in others, precise measurements are necessary. It is important to consider the purpose of the thickness calculation to determine the appropriate level of accuracy.