1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the time it takes for the reoccurence of opposition between Earth and Mars

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    From Wikipedia:
    [​IMG]
    E = the sidereal period of Earth (a sidereal year, not the same as a tropical year)
    P = the sidereal period of the other planet
    S = the synodic period of the other planet (as seen from Earth)

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem requires me to actually "think" / make out / derive such an equation to calculate the time it takes for another opposition planetary alignment to re-occur between Earth and Mars. The problem, as shown in the diagram, gives me pure facts and I simply have no idea of how to start. For example, I do not know what are the important variables I must incorporate to compose such equation and I don't know how to mathematically relate the circular motion of Mars and Earth.

I have found an article on wikipedia showing me the way to calculate this so called synodic period which I believe is what I am looking for.

But, wikipedia doesn't tell me how exactly this equation is derived and I really want to learn the derivation. So anyone, please guide me.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted