Calculate the total momentum after the collision

In summary, the conversation is regarding a momentum question involving two objects with given masses and velocities before and after a collision. The task is to calculate the total momentum after the collision and compare it to the total momentum before the collision. Vector addition is needed to find the total momentum and the given angles and directions must be taken into account.
daewoo
Hey guys, I'm stuck on this momentum question, i think I have an idea but have no way in proving it.

(here is part c to the question)
Calculate the total momentum after the collision. Compare this value to the total momentum before the collision. If these values differ, some likely causes of error were?

Mass(1)= 0.55kg, Mass(2)=0.55Kg, V1 =(0.79m/s East), V2= (0m/s)
V1 prime = (0.366m/s, 51 degrees N of E), and V2 Prime = (0.61m/s, 21 degrees S of E)

the prime means the change in velocity after a "collision" i first thought of using (m1v1 + m2v2) =(m1v1(prime) + m2v2(prime)) but the degrees and direction are confusing me, Unless i should use vector addition to add the angles.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector quantity, so yes, Vector addition.

thought so, but how would I start it off? would i find the momentums of the primes then draw it? finding the x and y componets?

Yes.

[tex] Info [/tex]
[tex] |\vec{v}_{1}|= 0.366 m/s [/tex]
[tex] |\vec{v}_{2}|= 0.61 m/s [/tex]
[tex] \theta_{1} = 51^{o} [/tex]
[tex] \theta_{2} = 21^{o} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}_{1} = |\vec{v}_{1}| \cos \theta_{1} \vec{i} + |\vec{v}_{1}| \sin \theta_{1} \vec{j} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}_{2} = |\vec{v}_{2}| \cos \theta_{2} \vec{i} - |\vec{v}_{2}| \sin \theta_{2} \vec{j} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}_{R} = \vec{v}_{1} + \vec{v}_{2} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{p}_{total} = m \vec{v}_{R} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (in kilograms) by its velocity (in meters per second). The formula for momentum is: p = m x v.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How do you calculate the total momentum after a collision?

To calculate the total momentum after a collision, you need to first determine the individual momenta of each object involved in the collision. Then, you can simply add the individual momenta together to find the total momentum. This is based on the law of conservation of momentum.

5. What units are used to measure momentum?

Momentum is typically measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s) in the SI system of units. However, other units such as gram-centimeters per second (g·cm/s) or pound-feet per second (lb·ft/s) may also be used.