1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the total momentum after the collision

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    Hey guys, i'm stuck on this momentum question, i think I have an idea but have no way in proving it.

(here is part c to the question)
    Calculate the total momentum after the collision. Compare this value to the total momentum before the collision. If these values differ, some likely causes of error were?

Mass(1)= 0.55kg, Mass(2)=0.55Kg, V1 =(0.79m/s East), V2= (0m/s)
    V1 prime = (0.366m/s, 51 degrees N of E), and V2 Prime = (0.61m/s, 21 degrees S of E)

the prime means the change in velocity after a "collision" i first thought of using (m1v1 + m2v2) =(m1v1(prime) + m2v2(prime)) but the degrees and direction are confusing me, Unless i should use vector addition to add the angles.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Momentum is a vector quantity, so yes, Vector addition.
  4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    thought so, but how would I start it off? would i find the momentums of the primes then draw it? finding the x and y componets?
  5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

[tex] Info [/tex]
    [tex] |\vec{v}_{1}|= 0.366 m/s [/tex]
    [tex] |\vec{v}_{2}|= 0.61 m/s [/tex]
    [tex] \theta_{1} = 51^{o} [/tex]
    [tex] \theta_{2} = 21^{o} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}_{1} = |\vec{v}_{1}| \cos \theta_{1} \vec{i} + |\vec{v}_{1}| \sin \theta_{1} \vec{j} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}_{2} = |\vec{v}_{2}| \cos \theta_{2} \vec{i} - |\vec{v}_{2}| \sin \theta_{2} \vec{j} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}_{R} = \vec{v}_{1} + \vec{v}_{2} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{p}_{total} = m \vec{v}_{R} [/tex]
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?