1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Transconductance for a MOSFET, given W,L,Vg,Vd,u,Cox but not Vth

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem is given to me by programme inductor, and I just copy the whole description here so every given element is the same as what he/she gives. I'm confused with the given conditions.

1) What is the transconductance (gm) of a MOSFET biased at W=L=1um,
    uCox=0.01A/V^2, Vg= 1V and Vd=1V?

2) For the same transistor with a load resistance of 100ohm, what is the
    voltage gain?

2. Relevant equations

Triode mode or linear region, When VGS > Vth and VDS < ( VGS – Vth )

[tex]I_D=\mu_nC_{ox}\frac{W}{L}((V_{GS}-V_{th})V_{DS}-\frac{V_{DS}^2}{2})[/tex]

Saturation or active mode, When VGS > Vth and VDS > ( VGS – Vth )

[tex]I_D=\frac{\mu_nC_{ox}}{2}\frac{W}{L}(V_{GS}-V_{th})^2(1+\lambda (V_{DS}-V_{DSsat}))[/tex]

or

[tex]I_D \approx \frac{\mu_nC_{ox}}{2}\frac{W}{L}(V_{GS}-V_{th})^2 [/tex]

The derivation is http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter7/ch7_3.htm" [Broken].

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm afraid the threshold voltage Vth should be given to do the calculation, besides, Vg=Vd=1V here so the transistor should be in Saturation Mode , should I assume the value of Vth by myself or just assume that Vg-Vth is approximately equal to Vd ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?