1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the velocity vector as a function of time

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1

Ok I have a bit of difficulty workin this Physics Mechanics problem.

Ok here is the problem....

The coordinates of a plane flying in the xy-plane are given as functions of time by:

X = 2.0m - at
    Y = bt^2

where a = 3.0 m/s and b = 2.5 m/s^2

A) Calculate the velocity vector as a function of time.
    B) Calculate the acceleration vector as a function of time.
    C) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the bird's velocity at t=2.9s.
    D) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the bird's acceleration a t=2.9s.

Ok here's what i've accomplished so far...

Code (Text):

/^          a(x) = a subscript x
        y|             / |          a(y) = a subscript y
         |            /  |             i = unit vector component, x-axis
         |         a /   |             j = unit vector component, y-axis
         |          /    |a(y)j        
         |         /     |
         |        /θ     |
    bt^2 -       *------->
         |         a(x)i
              2.0 - at          x
    Now I have these formulas.
    Code (Text):
        a = √((a(x))^2 + (a(y))^2)
    tan θ = a(y)/a(x)
     a(x) = a cos θ  
     a(y) = a sin θ  
        a = a(x)i + a(y)j
    Ok, now I believe you find a(x) and a(y) by taking the derivatives of bt^2 and 2.0 - at, thus getting 2bt and -a.

But I don't quite understand what the question (part A) is asking, when they want the velocity vector as a function of time.

I'm guessing its this: v(t) = -3.0i + 5.0tj

if this is so then the acceleration vector (part B) is expressed as:
    a(t) = 5.0j

So based on this i'm guessing part C is:

v(2.9s) = 5.83 m/s

but i'm not sure if this is correct either since part c asks for 'magnitude and direction', I feel like i'm missing something to my answer...

Lastly following all the above part D should be:

a(2.9s) ≈ 5.0 m/s^2

So....I hope I can get some insight in to this problem, I hope someone can help, and give me some guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your first statement is incorrect. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity. What you are given is the "position" vector.

You know that X= 2.0 - 3.0t and Y = 2.5t^2 which means that the position vector is (2.0- 3.0t)i+ (2.5t^2)j. Differentiate that to get the velocity vector: velocity vector = -3.0 i+ 5.0t j, exactly what you have. The derivative of that is acceleration vector = 5.0j, again, the answer you have.

How did the plane turn into a bird?

At t=2.9, the velocity vector is -3.0i+ 5.0(2.9)j= -3.0i+ 14.5j. The simplest way to calculate the "magnitude" (i.e. speed) is to use the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the vector is √((-3)2+(14.5)2)= 14.8 m/s. Since you don't say how you arrived at "5.83 m/s", I have no idea how you got that. The angle is, as your formula says, tan-1(Vy/Vx)= tan-1(14.5/-3)= tan-1(-4.833)= -0.08, only very very slightly less below the x axis.

The acceleration vector at any time is 5.0j which has magnitude 5 m/s2, which you have (and, by the way, that is exact, not approximate) and direction (which you left out) straight up the y axis.
  4. Oct 14, 2003 #3
    heh...Thanks for clearin that up, I kinda knew that but now it makes much more sense.

Ok since i'm given, X= 2.0 - 3.0t and Y = 2.5t^2, this is the position vector which is expressed as.

x(t) = (2.0- 3.0t)i + (2.5t^2)j

then: x'(t) = v(t)

v(t) = -3.0i + 5.0tj

then: v'(t) = a(t)

a(t) = 5.0j

woops...yea that was a typo, its still a plane :)

And I guess it would have made more sense if I drew my original diagram as this:
    Code (Text):

/^          v(x) = v subscript x
        y|             / |          v(y) = v subscript y
         |            /  |             i = unit vector component, x-axis
         |         v /   |             j = unit vector component, y-axis
         |          /    |v(y)j        
         |         /     |
         |        /?     |
    bt^2 -       *------->
         |         v(x)i
              2.0 - at          x
    I only used 'a' as this was the notation used in my textbook I knew it was velocity already.

hey thanks for clarifying what magnitude is.

yea...it was just a careless error on my part I calculated 5.83 m/s by √(-3)^2 + (2.9)^2 instead of √(-3)^2 + (14.5)^2 = 14.8 m/s.

oh yea thanks, so then Part D is:

direction = 5.0j
    magnitude = 5 m/s^2

Ok thanks again, I have a way better grasp on this mechanics stuff now, heh.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?