Calculate the velocity vector as a function of time

In summary, the problem involves calculating the velocity and acceleration vectors of a plane in the xy-plane, with given coordinates as functions of time. The velocity vector is found by differentiating the position vector, and the acceleration vector is found by differentiating the velocity vector. The magnitude and direction of the velocity and acceleration vectors are then calculated at a specific time, using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. It is important to note that acceleration is the derivative of velocity, not position.
Tony Zalles
Hi,

Ok I have a bit of difficulty workin this Physics Mechanics problem.

Ok here is the problem...

The coordinates of a plane flying in the xy-plane are given as functions of time by:

X = 2.0m - at
Y = bt^2

where a = 3.0 m/s and b = 2.5 m/s^2

A) Calculate the velocity vector as a function of time.
B) Calculate the acceleration vector as a function of time.
C) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the bird's velocity at t=2.9s.
D) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the bird's acceleration a t=2.9s.

Ok here's what I've accomplished so far...

Code:
                                NOTE:     
                    /^          a(x) = a subscript x
    y|             / |          a(y) = a subscript y
     |            /  |             i = unit vector component, x-axis
     |         a /   |             j = unit vector component, y-axis
     |          /    |a(y)j        
     |         /     |
     |        /θ     |
bt^2 -       *------->
     |         a(x)i
     |
     --------|---------------
          2.0 - at          x

Now I have these formulas.
Code:
    a = √((a(x))^2 + (a(y))^2)
tan θ = a(y)/a(x)
 a(x) = a cos θ   
 a(y) = a sin θ  
    a = a(x)i + a(y)j
Ok, now I believe you find a(x) and a(y) by taking the derivatives of bt^2 and 2.0 - at, thus getting 2bt and -a.

But I don't quite understand what the question (part A) is asking, when they want the velocity vector as a function of time.

I'm guessing its this: v(t) = -3.0i + 5.0tj

if this is so then the acceleration vector (part B) is expressed as:
a(t) = 5.0j

So based on this I'm guessing part C is:

v(2.9s) = 5.83 m/s

but I'm not sure if this is correct either since part c asks for 'magnitude and direction', I feel like I'm missing something to my answer...

Lastly following all the above part D should be:

a(2.9s) ≈ 5.0 m/s^2

So...I hope I can get some insight into this problem, I hope someone can help, and give me some guidance.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, now I believe you find a(x) and a(y) by taking the derivatives of bt^2 and 2.0 - at, thus getting 2bt and -a.

But I don't quite understand what the question (part A) is asking, when they want the velocity vector as a function of time.

Your first statement is incorrect. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity. What you are given is the "position" vector.

You know that X= 2.0 - 3.0t and Y = 2.5t^2 which means that the position vector is (2.0- 3.0t)i+ (2.5t^2)j. Differentiate that to get the velocity vector: velocity vector = -3.0 i+ 5.0t j, exactly what you have. The derivative of that is acceleration vector = 5.0j, again, the answer you have.

C) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the bird's velocity at t=2.9s.

How did the plane turn into a bird?

At t=2.9, the velocity vector is -3.0i+ 5.0(2.9)j= -3.0i+ 14.5j. The simplest way to calculate the "magnitude" (i.e. speed) is to use the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the vector is √((-3)2+(14.5)2)= 14.8 m/s. Since you don't say how you arrived at "5.83 m/s", I have no idea how you got that. The angle is, as your formula says, tan-1(Vy/Vx)= tan-1(14.5/-3)= tan-1(-4.833)= -0.08, only very very slightly less below the x axis.

D) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the bird's acceleration a t=2.9s.

The acceleration vector at any time is 5.0j which has magnitude 5 m/s2, which you have (and, by the way, that is exact, not approximate) and direction (which you left out) straight up the y axis.

Your first statement is incorrect. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity. What you are given is the "position" vector.

heh...Thanks for clearin that up, I kinda knew that but now it makes much more sense.

Ok since I'm given, X= 2.0 - 3.0t and Y = 2.5t^2, this is the position vector which is expressed as.

x(t) = (2.0- 3.0t)i + (2.5t^2)j

then: x'(t) = v(t)

v(t) = -3.0i + 5.0tj

then: v'(t) = a(t)

a(t) = 5.0j

How did the plane turn into a bird?

woops...yea that was a typo, its still a plane :)

And I guess it would have made more sense if I drew my original diagram as this:
Code:
                                NOTE:     
                    /^          v(x) = v subscript x
    y|             / |          v(y) = v subscript y
     |            /  |             i = unit vector component, x-axis
     |         v /   |             j = unit vector component, y-axis
     |          /    |v(y)j        
     |         /     |
     |        /?     |
bt^2 -       *------->
     |         v(x)i
     |
     --------|---------------
          2.0 - at          x

I only used 'a' as this was the notation used in my textbook I knew it was velocity already.

At t=2.9, the velocity vector is -3.0i+ 5.0(2.9)j= -3.0i+ 14.5j. The simplest way to calculate the "magnitude" (i.e. speed) is to use the Pythagorean theorem.

hey thanks for clarifying what magnitude is.

The length of the vector is √((-3)2+(14.5)2)= 14.8 m/s. Since you don't say how you arrived at "5.83 m/s", I have no idea how you got that. The angle is, as your formula says, tan-1(Vy/Vx)= tan-1(14.5/-3)= tan-1(-4.833)= -0.08, only very very slightly less below the x axis.

yea...it was just a careless error on my part I calculated 5.83 m/s by √(-3)^2 + (2.9)^2 instead of √(-3)^2 + (14.5)^2 = 14.8 m/s.

The acceleration vector at any time is 5.0j which has magnitude 5 m/s2, which you have (and, by the way, that is exact, not approximate) and direction (which you left out) straight up the y axis.

oh yea thanks, so then Part D is:

Acceleration:
direction = 5.0j
magnitude = 5 m/s^2

Ok thanks again, I have a way better grasp on this mechanics stuff now, heh.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity vector as a function of time?

The formula for calculating velocity vector as a function of time is v(t) = v0 + a*t, where v(t) is the velocity at time t, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How do you find the initial velocity in a velocity vector function?

The initial velocity, v0, is the velocity at time t = 0. It can be found by taking the derivative of the position function, x(t), at t = 0. Alternatively, if the initial velocity is known, it can be directly substituted into the formula v(t) = v0 + a*t.

3. What does the acceleration term represent in the velocity vector function?

The acceleration term, a, represents the rate at which the velocity is changing over time. It can be positive or negative, indicating an increase or decrease in velocity, respectively.

4. Can velocity vector be negative?

Yes, velocity vector can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is to the right, a negative velocity would mean that the object is moving to the left.

5. How can I use the velocity vector function to find the displacement of an object over a certain time interval?

To find the displacement, or change in position, of an object over a time interval, you can use the formula x(t) = x0 + v0*t + 1/2*a*t2, where x(t) is the position at time t, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. Substitute in the values for the given time interval to find the displacement over that period of time.