Calculate the width of the gutter where the depth is 6cms

In summary, the quadratic equation y=4/11x^2-4x+11 represents the cross-section of a gutter where x is the width and y is the depth in cm. To calculate the width when the depth is 6cm, we need to solve the equation (4/11)x^2-4x+11=6. Without knowing which variable represents the width and which represents the depth, it is impossible to determine the correct solution.
Paulo2014

Homework Statement

The cross-section of a gutter can be represented by the quadratic:
y=4/11x^2-4x+11 where x and y are measurements in cm. Calculate the width of the gutter where the depth is 6cms.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answer was 1.26cm or 12.6mm but I'm pretty sure that's wrong so could someone please explain how to work it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try?

Paulo2014 said:

Homework Statement

The cross-section of a gutter can be represented by the quadratic:
y=4/11x^2-4x+11 where x and y are measurements in cm. Calculate the width of the gutter where the depth is 6cms.
It's impossible to say if you won't tells us which of x, y is the width and which is the depth! I might guess that x is twice the width and y the depth, so that you need to solve the equation (4/11)x^2- 4x+ 11= 6. My guess is partly based on the fact that if x is the depth, you would only need to evaluate that (4/11)(6)^2- 4(6)+ 11 and that is too easy!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answer was 1.26cm or 12.6mm but I'm pretty sure that's wrong so could someone please explain how to work it out?

sorry guys... x is width and y is depth

1. How do you calculate the width of a gutter?

The width of a gutter can be calculated by dividing the depth of the gutter by its slope. This will give you the width of the gutter at its highest point.

2. What is the formula for calculating the width of a gutter?

The formula for calculating the width of a gutter is width = depth/slope. The slope can be expressed as a ratio or a percentage, depending on the unit of measurement used for the depth.

3. Can the width of a gutter be calculated without knowing the depth?

No, the width of a gutter cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the depth. The depth is an essential component in the formula for calculating the width of a gutter.

4. Is 6cms the standard depth for gutters?

No, 6cms is not the standard depth for gutters. The depth of gutters can vary depending on the size and type of the gutter system, as well as the local building codes.

5. What is the importance of calculating the width of a gutter?

Calculating the width of a gutter is crucial in determining the appropriate size of gutters needed for a particular building. It ensures that the gutter system can effectively handle the amount of rainfall in the area, preventing water damage and potential structural issues.