1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the work done by the sliding the piano

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Hi, this is my first post on here hope I can answer some in the future. I've finished everything except these two problems. I've got the answers except I can't figure out how to arrive at the conclusions.

1) A 4.2-kN piano is to be slid up a 3.5-m frictionless plank at a constant speed. The plank makes an angle of 30° with the horizontal. Calculate the work done by the sliding the piano up the plank. A: 74.103 J

I know I have to use this f=f(parallel)/angle and w=f*d but other than that I'm not too sure.

2) A car is driven at a constant speed of 76 km/h down a road. The car's engine delivers 48 kW of power. Calculate the average force that is resisting the motion of the car. A: 23000 N

This one seems too easy for me to be asking am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks for looking and hopfully you can help me, btw my test is tommorow, heh. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Make the drawing and then use the geometry to find the tangential component of the force...

What is the relation between force,velocity & mechanical power...??BTW i think your answer is off a size order...

Daniel.

Thanks for looking and hopfully you can help me, btw my test is tommorow, heh. :yuck:[/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?