Calculating Young's Modulus for a Cylinder with Given Pressure and Bulk Modulus

In summary, the individual is seeking help in calculating the Young's modulus and determining the material type for a cylinder with a volume of 8000m3 and a pressure of 80MPa and a bulk modulus of 74 MPa. They have attempted to use the formulas for volumetric strain and change in volume, as well as the equation E = Stress (Volume x Pressure) / Volumetric strain and E = 3K(1-2v), but neither answer seems correct. They are seeking clarification and input from others on their calculations.
ErnieChicken
Hey Guys, I am new to the forums but have seen you guys help a lot with pointing people in the right direction.

Here is my problem:
A Cylinder with a Volume of 8000m3 has a pressure of 80MPa, Bulk Modulus of 74 MPa. I need to calculate the Young s modulus and determine the material type.

So Far here is what i have:

Using Bulk Modulus, Volumetric Strain can be found:
Bulk Modulus K = Pressure / Volumetric Strain
Volumetric Strain = Pressure / Bulk Modulus K = 80 x 106 Pa / 74 x 106 Pa = 1.081
Volumetric Strain Can also be determined using this formula:
Volumetric Strain = Change in Volume / Volume
Then the Change in Volume can be found using the Volumetric Strain:
Change in Volume = Volumetric Strain x Volume = 1.081 x 8000m3 = 8648m3

My train of thought with calculating the youngs modulus is to use

E = Stress (Volume x Pressure) / Volumetric strain
So E = 592.05 GPa

Or by Using K
E = 3K(1-2v) --> 3x74MPa x (1-0.6) = 88.8MPa

But neither answer looks right. Have i overlooked something here?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
well. i think bulk modulus =direct stress/ vol strain .here pr stress

Thanks for the reply Praveen. I have looked at going back and getting the area of the cylinder and working through stress and strain but I am getting x10^6 numbers which is low for the elastic modulus.

1. What is Young's modulus and why is it important?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It describes how much a material will deform under a given amount of stress. It is important because it allows scientists and engineers to predict and analyze the behavior of materials under different forces and loads.

2. How is Young's modulus calculated?

Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length) of a material. This can be expressed as E = σ / ε, where E is Young's modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain.

3. What are the units for Young's modulus?

The units for Young's modulus are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or gigapascals (GPa).

4. How does temperature affect Young's modulus?

Temperature can have a significant effect on Young's modulus. In general, as temperature increases, the modulus of a material decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in a material vibrate more and are less able to resist deformation, resulting in a lower modulus.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of Young's modulus calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of Young's modulus calculations. These include the type and quality of the material being tested, the method used to apply stress and measure strain, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate results.