1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate torque for gearbox

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    I am designing a gearbox to take a human input with a crank 12 in. long attached to a shaft that drives the first gear which goes through a gearbox and eventually turns a motor shaft in case of electrical failure. This is for a class concept design. The motor has 5ft-lb of torsional inertia and I need to calculate the operator force.
    the gear box is set up with 4 spur gears, A,B,C, and D.
    A is a 30t gear, 3in diameter
    B is a gear with a big tooth and smaller gear attached to the top of it so that they both spin in the same direction at the same speed(see attached picture).
    B will have a 60t large gear attached to a 10t small gear with respective diameters, 6 and 1 inches.
    C is the same idea, the large is a 60t 6in. gear and the smaller is 30t, 3in.
    D will be a single spur gear with 20t, 2in.

How do I calculate the torque or force that the operator must apply to the input shaft(the 30t gear, top left)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3

OldEngr63

Gold Member

What is 5ft-lb of torsional inertia about? The units do not make sense. Mass moment of inertia should be in slug-ft^2 if you are working in USC units with feet for length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook