Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate vector with known magnitude along the direciton given by another vector

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    Hi, i have a known magnitude to give my vector in an xy plane, and i have a desired direction. I need the (vx, vy, vz=0) to describe my vector. im sure this can be done easily.

an example is,

i have a point at (10,10,0) in cartesian (x,y,z) and will use this as the starting point of my vector. This vector must have a magnitude of 4, and must be in a direction along the line connecting the point (10,10,0) with the origin (0,0,0).

ie my vector has the magnitude 5 and direciton that of a vector (-10,-10,0).

in this example the solution is simply to write

[tex]
    z^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex], and as x=y,

[tex]
    \sqrt{ \frac{z^{2}}{2} }=x=3.5
    [/tex] ish.

giving me vector with componants (3.5,3.5,0)

this however is in the wrong direction (need (-3.5,-3.5,0))

however if x=/=y, how is this solved? and how is the direction accounted for (+ve or -ve)?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2
    for example a point at (10,9,0) with magnitude 5 along the vector from the point to the origin as before, which is now (-10,-9,0).

how do i find its componants (vx, vy, vz=0)?

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    Find the unit vector first

First, find the unit vector in your desired direction; then multiply by your desired magnitude.

The vector (-10, -10, 0) lies on your direction; Now find the unit vector in that direction. i.e. divide by the magnitude. Then multiply by 4.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    excelent, works like a dream. thanks sennyk

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?