Calculate Vector with Magnitude & Direction Given

In summary, to describe a vector with a known magnitude in a desired direction, you can first find the unit vector in that direction and then multiply it by the desired magnitude. This can be done easily by using an example, where a point at (10,10,0) in cartesian (x,y,z) is used as the starting point of the vector with a magnitude of 4 and direction along the line connecting the point with the origin. If the starting point is different, such as (10,9,0), the same method can be applied to find the components of the vector (vx, vy, vz=0) in the desired direction. The unit vector can be found by dividing the vector by its magnitude.
jimbo_durham
Hi, i have a known magnitude to give my vector in an xy plane, and i have a desired direction. I need the (vx, vy, vz=0) to describe my vector. I am sure this can be done easily.

an example is,

i have a point at (10,10,0) in cartesian (x,y,z) and will use this as the starting point of my vector. This vector must have a magnitude of 4, and must be in a direction along the line connecting the point (10,10,0) with the origin (0,0,0).

ie my vector has the magnitude 5 and direciton that of a vector (-10,-10,0).

in this example the solution is simply to write

[tex]
z^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex], and as x=y,

[tex]
\sqrt{ \frac{z^{2}}{2} }=x=3.5
[/tex] ish.

giving me vector with components (3.5,3.5,0)

this however is in the wrong direction (need (-3.5,-3.5,0))

however if x=/=y, how is this solved? and how is the direction accounted for (+ve or -ve)?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
for example a point at (10,9,0) with magnitude 5 along the vector from the point to the origin as before, which is now (-10,-9,0).

how do i find its components (vx, vy, vz=0)?

Find the unit vector first

First, find the unit vector in your desired direction; then multiply by your desired magnitude.

The vector (-10, -10, 0) lies on your direction; Now find the unit vector in that direction. i.e. divide by the magnitude. Then multiply by 4.

excelent, works like a dream. thanks sennyk

What is a vector and how is it represented?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented graphically as an arrow with a specific length and direction.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y components of the vector. The formula is: magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2).

What is the direction of a vector and how is it determined?

The direction of a vector is the angle it makes with a reference axis, usually the horizontal x-axis. It is typically measured in degrees or radians counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. The direction can be determined by using trigonometric functions, such as tangent or cosine, depending on the given information.

How do you calculate the components of a vector given its magnitude and direction?

To calculate the x and y components of a vector, you can use the magnitude and direction by using trigonometric functions. For example, the x component would be the magnitude multiplied by the cosine of the direction angle, and the y component would be the magnitude multiplied by the sine of the direction angle.

What are some real-life applications of calculating vectors with magnitude and direction?

Calculating vectors with magnitude and direction is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation. Some real-life applications include calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects, determining forces and their direction in a system, and navigating using a compass and map.