• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Calculate volume in dm³?

1. Homework Statement

What volume in dm³ of KCl is obtained in the following equation 2KClO3-----> 2KCl + 3O2?
2. Homework Equations
None
3. The Attempt at a Solution
I suppose there is not enough data and according to equation it is 44.8dm³. But my book says 2 dm³, I don't understand how?

What is the exact and complete problem statement?
So is it incorrect statement? Because it is asked in my test. Do you think there is another way of thinking about the question? If this is wrong should I inform it to my teacher so they can cancel the question.

So is it incorrect statement? Because it is asked in my test. Do you think there is another way of thinking about the question? If this is wrong should I inform it to my teacher so they can cancel the question.
I don't know. Maybe those are supposed to be both the numbers of moles in the balanced chemical equation and the actual numbers of moles involved. How did you get 44.8?

I don't know. Maybe those are supposed to be both the numbers of moles in the balanced chemical equation and the actual numbers of moles involved. How did you get 44.8?
one mole of any gas occupy volume of 22.4dm³ (molar volume) and from equation there are two moles of potassium chloride so volume will be 2×22.4dm³= 44.8dm³. I think they are asking about 2 moles of solid KCl. Is that right?

one mole of any gas occupy volume of 22.4dm³ (molar volume) and from equation there are two moles of potassium chloride so volume will be 2×22.4dm³= 44.8dm³. I think they are asking about 2 moles of solid KCl. Is that right?
That would be my guess.

Borek

Mentor
Unless there is a context that makes it obvious, question is poorly worded and incomplete.