1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate volume in dm³?

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What volume in dm³ of KCl is obtained in the following equation 2KClO3-----> 2KCl + 3O2?
    2. Relevant equations
    None
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I suppose there is not enough data and according to equation it is 44.8dm³. But my book says 2 dm³, I don't understand how?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2
    What is the exact and complete problem statement?

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3
    So is it incorrect statement? Because it is asked in my test. Do you think there is another way of thinking about the question? If this is wrong should I inform it to my teacher so they can cancel the question.

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4
    I don't know. Maybe those are supposed to be both the numbers of moles in the balanced chemical equation and the actual numbers of moles involved. How did you get 44.8?

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5
    one mole of any gas occupy volume of 22.4dm³ (molar volume) and from equation there are two moles of potassium chloride so volume will be 2×22.4dm³= 44.8dm³. I think they are asking about 2 moles of solid KCl. Is that right?

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6
    That would be my guess.

8. Nov 8, 2016 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Unless there is a context that makes it obvious, question is poorly worded and incomplete.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted