Calculating Volume in dm³: Solving the Equation 2KClO3 -----> 2KCl + 3O2

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about finding the volume of KCl in dm³ in a chemical equation. The answer may be 44.8dm³, but the book says 2 dm³. The speaker is unsure and wonders if there is another way to approach the question or if it should be brought up to the teacher for clarification. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the question referring to 2 moles of solid KCl instead of 2 moles of gas.
Aafia

Homework Statement

What volume in dm³ of KCl is obtained in the following equation 2KClO3-----> 2KCl + 3O2?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose there is not enough data and according to equation it is 44.8dm³. But my book says 2 dm³, I don't understand how?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the exact and complete problem statement?

Chestermiller said:
What is the exact and complete problem statement?
So is it incorrect statement? Because it is asked in my test. Do you think there is another way of thinking about the question? If this is wrong should I inform it to my teacher so they can cancel the question.

Aafia said:
So is it incorrect statement? Because it is asked in my test. Do you think there is another way of thinking about the question? If this is wrong should I inform it to my teacher so they can cancel the question.
I don't know. Maybe those are supposed to be both the numbers of moles in the balanced chemical equation and the actual numbers of moles involved. How did you get 44.8?

Chestermiller said:
I don't know. Maybe those are supposed to be both the numbers of moles in the balanced chemical equation and the actual numbers of moles involved. How did you get 44.8?
one mole of any gas occupy volume of 22.4dm³ (molar volume) and from equation there are two moles of potassium chloride so volume will be 2×22.4dm³= 44.8dm³. I think they are asking about 2 moles of solid KCl. Is that right?

Aafia said:
one mole of any gas occupy volume of 22.4dm³ (molar volume) and from equation there are two moles of potassium chloride so volume will be 2×22.4dm³= 44.8dm³. I think they are asking about 2 moles of solid KCl. Is that right?
That would be my guess.

Unless there is a context that makes it obvious, question is poorly worded and incomplete.

1. What is the formula for calculating volume in dm³?

The formula for calculating volume in dm³ is length x width x height. This means that you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the object in decimeters (dm) and multiply them together to find the volume in dm³.

2. How do I convert other units of measurement to dm³?

To convert other units of measurement to dm³, you will need to use conversion factors. For example, to convert from cubic centimeters (cm³) to dm³, you will need to divide the number of cm³ by 1000. To convert from cubic meters (m³) to dm³, you will need to multiply the number of m³ by 1000.

3. Can I use the same formula for irregularly shaped objects?

No, the formula for calculating volume in dm³ only applies to regular shapes such as cubes, rectangular prisms, and cylinders. For irregularly shaped objects, you will need to use other methods such as water displacement or advanced mathematical equations to calculate the volume.

4. What is the difference between dm³ and cm³?

The main difference between dm³ and cm³ is the unit of measurement. While both measure volume, dm³ is a larger unit and is equal to 1000 cm³. This means that 1 dm³ is equal to 1000 cm³.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help me calculate volume in dm³?

Yes, there are many online calculators and conversion tables available to help you calculate volume in dm³. You can also use tools such as rulers, measuring cups, and measuring tapes to accurately measure the length, width, and height of the object in decimeters.