Calculate Min Weight to Contain 1 m3 Helium/Hydrogen

• Thread starter Krishna prasad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the minimum weight required to contain 1 m3 of helium or hydrogen at normal atmospheric pressure is equal to the buoyancy force, which is determined by the density of the gas, the volume of the container, and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be solved by setting the forces of gravity and buoyancy equal to each other and solving for the mass of the container.
Krishna prasad
Hi,

I am a bit new to this area of physics.

My question:

1) How much minimum weight (in milligrams or grams) is required to keep 1 m3 (1 meter cube) of Helium / Hydrogen contained in a container of negligible weight at normal atmospheric pressure (outside pressure).

This question has been bugging me since my childhood and I am not able to gather an answer for this so long.

You could also mail me at prasad@pspindia.com which I would appreciate.

Thanks

Prasad

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a common problem in most physics textbooks.

Essentially, you vector sum the forces acting on the container to 0, since the container is not accelerating (please, no general relativity). There are two forces acting on the container: the force of gravity [tex]F_g = mg[/tex] and the buoyancy force [tex]F_B = \rho V g[/tex]. Since they must vector cancel, set the two forces equal and solve for the mass m.

What is the formula for calculating the minimum weight to contain 1 m3 of helium/hydrogen?

The formula for calculating the minimum weight to contain 1 m3 of helium/hydrogen is:
Minimum Weight = (1 m3 x Density of Helium/Hydrogen)/Acceleration due to Gravity

What is the density of helium/hydrogen?

The density of helium is approximately 0.1785 kg/m3 at standard temperature and pressure. The density of hydrogen is approximately 0.0899 kg/m3 at standard temperature and pressure.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity varies depending on the location and altitude. On Earth, it is approximately 9.8 m/s2. On other planets or celestial bodies, it may be different.

How does the density of the container affect the minimum weight to contain 1 m3 of helium/hydrogen?

The density of the container does not affect the minimum weight to contain 1 m3 of helium/hydrogen. The minimum weight is solely determined by the density of the gas and the acceleration due to gravity.

What are some possible applications of calculating the minimum weight to contain 1 m3 of helium/hydrogen?

Calculating the minimum weight to contain 1 m3 of helium/hydrogen can be useful in designing and building storage containers for these gases in industries such as aerospace, medical, and energy. It can also aid in determining the amount of gas needed for specific experiments or processes.