1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculated Mass

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    I do online schooling or I'd just ask a teacher anywho I need to find the calculated mass of a slug by difference, I'm using centigram balance to calculate everything.
    This is what I know so far:
    Snug w/ beaker: 52.42g
    Snug: 2.42
    Beaker: 50g

I don't know if I should divide or subtract them.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure I understand your question. But calculating mass by difference will mean subtract. which it seems you have already done.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    That's what I'm thinking to but if its suppose to be the answer for a question the answer seems inadequate

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    what exactly are you trying to find? The weight of this "snug"?

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    Here's the whole question
    Use the other centigram balance to determine the slug mass by difference:
    Mass of beaker:_____
    Mass of beaker and slug:______
    Calculated mass of the slug by difference:_______

This is using a centigram balance

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  7. Oct 17, 2011 #6
    you've done everything right if thats the case. If you measure the mass of the beaker, and you measure the mass of the beaker and the slug you will have Slug + Beaker - Beaker = Slug

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7
    Alright thanks I understand it I guess I was thinking it'd be longer or more complex than what it was :) So I guess I needed to double check, thanks for your help.

9. Oct 17, 2011 #8
    no problem:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook