1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a basic limit

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    Hello,

can someone please help me understand how to solve the following limit? I've tried multiplying by sqrt(x)+sqrt(a) but it doesn't seem to do the trick. How do i continue from there?

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3595/asdsadassssggg.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    L'Hôpital's rule does the job here, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule , but as I'm not such a fan of L'Hôpital there is usually a way to work yourself around hopital but I don't see it at this moment. Again, use L'Hôpital for an easy way out here!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Mar 31, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The[/URL] two-sided limit doesn't exist, because if x < a, then the denominator is not a real number. The right-side limit exists, though. If you assume that x > a, multiplying numerator and denominator by sqrt(x) + sqrt(a) will get you something that you can evaluate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    Ah, took me a while but you should rather multiply nominator and denominator [tex](x^{\frac{1}{2}}+a^{\frac{1}{2}})(x+a)[/tex] so you can REALLY evaluate the limit with ease :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. Mar 31, 2010 #5

Mark44

I repeat - the two-sided limit doesn't exist, so if you get a value for it, your work is wrong.

7. Mar 31, 2010 #6

Mark44

And how does that work? Are you saying that (x1/2 - a1/2)(x3/2 + a3/2) gives you something easy to work with? The middle terms do not drop out.

8. Mar 31, 2010 #7
    You are right, sorry, I meant multiplying by (x+a)(sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)) but didn't think it over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook