1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a Laurent series

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the Laurent series for f(z) = 1/(z(z-1)(z-2)) on the annulus between 1 and 2. with the origin as center.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i found the partial fraction decomposition of this function and it turns out to be f(z) = 1/2z + -1/(z-1) + 1/(2(z-2)). In order to find the Laurent series do I just Taylor expand each of my 3 different decomposition around their singularities? However, their singularities are not contained on the annulus so this doesnt seem to make much sense. I am unsure how to proceed from this spot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    Note that 1/2z and -1/(z-1) have their singularity "inside" the annulus, while 1/(2(z-2)) has a singularity "outside" the annulus. Try expressing the first two as series in 1/z and the third one as a series in z (i.e. Taylor series).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook