1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a Parachute Descent

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1

I'm still working on my balloning project and now I have arrived at the problem of getting a accurate idea of a descent velocity/time. I am sure that the formula to get the velocity is:

Now density changes with altitude, causing a higher velocity at high altitude and a decreasing velocity while closing in on Earth. In the formula, m is the mass of the payload and A is the cross-sectional area of the parachute.

Question: How can I implement [tex]\rho(h)[/tex], that is the density as a function of altitude, into the formula above? Integration over [tex]\rho[/tex]?

My previous approach was to get myself the atmospheric densities for 4000 m-levels out of the 1976 U.S. Standard Atmosphere, to calculate the velocity by putting in each of the densities in turn, and finally to average the velocities. I don't know if this is also OK, but I can imagine that it is less accurate than a analytical solution I am looking for here.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted