1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a Residue

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the residue of ##\frac{1-cos2z}{z^3}## at ##z=0##

2. Relevant equations

##Res=\frac{1}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n}[f(z)(z-z_0)^{n+1}]## Where the order of the pole is ##n+1##

3. The attempt at a solution

Differentiating ##(1-cos2z)z^3## twice, leaves me with zeros against every term giving me ##0## for a residue which is incorrect. Mathematica gives me 2 for a residue. Since ##z_0=0## I am only left multiplying the top function by z. I have no idea what I am missing here.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is the order of your pole?

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    3rd order. I think I made a mistake that the 1/z^3 factor was not included in f(x). If I include it, it cancels out the z's outside of the cos2z function altogether. In that case, the part that gets differentiated and evaluated is just 1-cos2x.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is not. Don't forget the numerator.

6. Oct 19, 2014 #5
    I got it. I having trouble with a different problem now. A new thread is in order for that one.

Thanks,
    Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted