Calculate Vector Diff: 8m 20° North & 6m 80° East

• Thread starter astrololo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the problem involves calculating the final position of an object that first moves 8m 20 degrees north of the west and then moves another 6m 80 degrees south of the east. The final position is found by adding the two vectors, resulting in a final position of 8.545i-8.65j. The mistake was initially thinking that the question asked for the difference between the final and initial position, rather than the final position itself.
astrololo

Homework Statement

John move 8m 20 degrees north of the west. After, he moves another time 6 m 80 degrees south of the east. Calculate the difference between the two vector of his movement in cartesian form.

Homework Equations

Vector =ai +bj

The Attempt at a Solution

By using trigonometry, I found the following triangles : (-7.51, 2.74, 8)
(1.035, -5.91, 6)

So :

D=(1.035i-5.91j)-(-7.51i+2.74j)

D=8.545i-8.65j

I don't know why it isn't workng. I know that my answer isn't good. But I know that my steps are good.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is a degree "north of the south"?

You'll also have to elaborate on the trigonometry you used.

axmls said:
What is a degree "north of the south"?

You'll also have to elaborate on the trigonometry you used.
Oh, sorry I meant north of west. Not south. The trigonometry that I used is sin angle =opposite side/ hypoth and cos angle = adjacent side / hypoth to find the composents of my triangle

astrololo said:

Homework Statement

John move 8m 20 degrees north of the west. After, he moves another time 6 m 80 degrees south of the east. Calculate the difference between the two vector of his movement in cartesian form.

Homework Equations

Vector =ai +bj

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not clear to me what you mean by
By using trigonometry, I found the following triangles : (-7.51, 2.74, 8)
(1.035, -5.91, 6)
What information do those numbers give us about the triangles? Those cannot be lengths of side or angles because they have negative numbers.
You write, as a "relevant equation", "Vector ai+ bj" so I would think that you would be aware that the vector "8m 20 degrees north of the west" gives a= -8 cos(20) and b= 8 sin(20): (-8 cos(20))i+ (8 sin(20))j. Similarly, "6 m 80 degrees south of east" gives 6 cos(80)i- 8 sin(80)j. Add those.

Another way to do this is to draw those two vectors and see that they form two sides of a right triangle of length 6 and 8 with angle between them of 70 degrees.

So :

D=(1.035i-5.91j)-(-7.51i+2.74j)

D=8.545i-8.65j

I don't know why it isn't workng. I know that my answer isn't good. But I know that my steps are good.

"What information do those numbers give us about the triangles? Those cannot be lengths of side or angles because they have negative numbers."

Sorry I included the negatives to indicate their direction.

You write, as a "relevant equation", "Vector ai+ bj" so I would think that you would be aware that the vector "8m 20 degrees north of the west" gives a= -8 cos(20) and b= 8 sin(20): (-8 cos(20))i+ (8 sin(20))j. Similarly, "6 m 80 degrees south of east" gives 6 cos(80)i- 8 sin(80)j. Add those.

I think you did an error. It's 6*sin(80) not 8*sin(80). Also, how come that we add them ? I thought that we needed to substract the initial one from the final. I mean, the formula is vector S = vector R - vector R initial (R being the position)

Help please !

astrololo said:
I thought that we needed to substract the initial one from the final. I mean, the formula is vector S = vector R - vector R initial (R being the position)

I'm a little confused by the wording of the question. Typically it would be asking for the vector from the starting point (the origin) to the final position, in which case you would add them. It seems odd to ask for the difference of the two vectors, but if that's the case, I believe your answer is correct.

axmls said:
I'm a little confused by the wording of the question. Typically it would be asking for the vector from the starting point (the origin) to the final position, in which case you would add them. It seems odd to ask for the difference of the two vectors, but if that's the case, I believe your answer is correct.
No, sorry this my error. The question is asking for the final position, not for the difference of final position and initial position. So this is why we're adding the initial position plus the second diplacement of the object.

The final position is given by the vector sum of the two vectors you use to get to the final position. That's how we define addition of vectors (just think about how we add two vectors graphically).

axmls said:
The final position is given by the vector sum of the two vectors you use to get to the final position. That's how we define addition of vectors (just think about how we add two vectors graphically).
Yes, but my mistake was thinking that the question asked for the difference between the final and initial position. (The displacement from initial to final) Now I understand that this wasn't the case.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In other words, it is a value that includes information about how much and in what direction something is moving or acting.

2. How do you calculate a vector difference?

To calculate the vector difference, you need to subtract the components of the two vectors from each other. In this case, we have two vectors: 8m 20° North and 6m 80° East. This means that the first vector is moving 8 meters in a direction 20° North of East, and the second vector is moving 6 meters in a direction 80° East of North. To find the difference, we subtract the east component (6m) from the north component (8m) to get a final magnitude of 2m. The direction can be found by subtracting the angles, which in this case would be 80° - 20° = 60°. Therefore, the vector difference is 2m 60° North of East.

3. Can a vector have negative components?

Yes, a vector can have negative components. Negative components indicate that the vector is moving in the opposite direction of the positive components. For example, a vector with a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 270° would have a negative east component, indicating that it is moving west.

4. What is the difference between vector addition and vector subtraction?

Vector addition involves combining two or more vectors to get a final vector that represents the total movement or action. On the other hand, vector subtraction involves finding the difference between two vectors to get a final vector that represents the change in movement or action.

5. How can vectors be used in real life?

Vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, in navigation, vectors can be used to calculate the direction and speed of a moving object. In engineering, vectors are used to calculate forces and velocities in different directions. In physics, vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of motion, force, and acceleration.