Calculating Complex Residues for an Integral with a Non-Removable Singularity

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^a(x-4)}, where 0<a<1 is a real number. The participants suggest different techniques, including using complex residues, a keyhole contour, and a half-disk "indented contour". Ultimately, it is suggested to use a contour integral and equate the real and imaginary parts to find the value of the integral.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I probably need to calculate this integral with complex residues calculus, but I'm having difficulty with it:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^a(x-4)}[/tex]
where 0<a<1 is real number.
I mean trying to find a closed contour here seems to be a pain in the neck, I mean how do i calculate the residue of 1/(x^a), assuming my contour runs with a circle around it (not from inside the curve but outside it, i hope it's clear.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
if a where an integer I would know how to do it, not by residues.

If you want to solve this by residues, I have no idea.

It have to bee solved analytically?

And the pole in x= 0 is of the order a, which is a real number, not an integer. No ideas.

yes, analytically.

You need to put a cut from the singularity at the origin to infinity. Have it go along the real axis but skirting round the pole at x=4. Now look for a closed contour that does not cross the cut. When you go round the singularity at the origin in a small circle you pick up a factor...

loop quantum gravity said:
I mean trying to find a closed contour here seems to be a pain in the neck, I mean how do i calculate the residue of 1/(x^a), assuming my contour runs with a circle around it (not from inside the curve but outside it, i hope it's clear.

you will need a so-called "keyhole contour" (i guess that's what the previous poster is suggesting). I've got a feeling that it may also work with a half-disk "indented contour" with the help of fractional residue theorem (but not tried that before).

let me give you a hint by giving you a standard result:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{z^a (z+1)} dz = \frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi a)},\quad 0<a<1[/tex]

After thought: you may need to check the convergence of the integral in [tex]\left[0,\infty\right)[/tex] since my example involves "+1" while yours is "-4". the pole location is different and I've go the feeling that it may have problems. if you have have
[tex]\left[0,-\infty\right)[/tex] instead, it would be just as my example.EDIT: now I understand you difficulty. you can't have a branch cut from 0 to +ve infinity.

Last edited:
Try the following contour, and the integral

[tex]I=\oint_C\frac{d\,z}{z^\alpha(z-4)}=\oint_C f(z)\,d\,z[/tex]

Since there are no ploles inside [tex]C[/tex], we have [tex]I=0[/tex].

It is easy to prove that
[tex]\int_{C_1}f(z)\,d\,z=\int_{C_2}f(z)\,d\,z=0[/tex]
and
[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0}\int_{C_3}f(z)\,d\,z=-4^{-\alpha}\,i\,\pi[/tex]

Now write down the rest of the integrals, and equate real and imaginary parts. You should arrive to

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^a(x-4)}=4^{-\alpha}\,\pi\,\cot(\pi\,\alpha)[/tex]

Be careful for the AB integral. There [tex]z=x\,e^{i\,\pi}[/tex]

EDIT Change sign in [tex]C_3[/tex] integral.

Attachments

• Contor.jpg
    Contor.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
shouldn't the integral of C_3 when epsilon approaches zero equal minus what youv'e wrriten, we learned it should be this way.

besides, this thanks, i did it before i asked, i just wasn't sure what is a_-1 of 1/z^a, but from writing i guess it should be zero, correct? (when a is between 0 and 1).

how do i calculate the integral of AB?
it goes from -R to -epsilon

You are right for the integral of [tex]C_3[/tex]. I changed it in my previous post. Calculations are not my best thing! :smile:

Now let's denote [tex]I[/tex] your integral. The integral on AB is

[tex]\int_{-R}^{-\epsilon}\frac{e^{-i\,\pi\,\alpha}}{x^\alpha(x+4)}\,d\,x \xrightarrow[\substack{\epsilon \to 0\\ R \to \infty}]{} e^{-i\,\pi\,\alpha}\,\int_{-\infty}^0 \frac{d\,x}{x^\alpha(x+4)}=e^{-i\,\pi\,\alpha}\,J [/tex]

Thus we have

[tex]\oint_C f(z)\,d\,z=0\Rightarrow I+e^{-i\,\pi\,\alpha}\,J-i\,4^{-\alpha}\,\pi=0 \quad (I,J) \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

In this equation equate real and imaginary parts, in order to arrive to the wanted result.

Last edited:
Rainbow Child said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^a(x-4)}=4^{-\alpha}\,\pi\,\cot(\pi\,\alpha)[/tex]

Be careful for the AB integral. There [tex]z=x\,e^{i\,\pi}[/tex]

EDIT Change sign in [tex]C_3[/tex] integral.

I am puzzled as to how you get this result... either there is a typo here somewhere or you have done something wrong.

but regardless of that, how did you manage to pick out a piece that corresponds to integration from 0 to infinity from your "half-disk indented contour"?

I've got a feeling that you have either done the following
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^a (x+4)} = \frac{4^{-a}\pi}{\sin(a\pi)}, \quad 0<\text{Re}(a)<1[/tex]
or
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0} \frac{dx}{x^a (x-4)}=-\frac{(-4)^{-a}\pi}{\sin(a\pi)}, \quad 0<\text{Re}(a)<1[/tex]

instead

mjsd said:
I am puzzled as to how you get this result... either there is a typo here somewhere or you have done something wrong.

but regardless of that, how did you manage to pick out a piece that corresponds to integration from 0 to infinity from your "half-disk indented contour"?

I've got a feeling that you have either done the following
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^a (x+4)} = \frac{4^{-a}\pi}{\sin(a\pi)}, \quad 0<\text{Re}(a)<1[/tex]
or
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0} \frac{dx}{x^a (x-4)}=-\frac{(-4)^{-a}\pi}{\sin(a\pi)}, \quad 0<\text{Re}(a)<1[/tex]

instead

Do we agree that in contour at hand

[tex]\oint_C f(z)d\,z=0 \, ?[/tex]

Then

[tex]\oint_C=\int_{C_1}+\int_{AB}+\int_{C_2}+\int_{CD}+\int_{C_3}+\int_{EF}=0[/tex]

At the limit [tex]\epsilon\to 0,R \to \infty[/tex]
  • The 1st and the 3rd integral vanishes.
  • The 4th and the 6th integral combine to
    [tex]I=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^a(x-4)}[/tex]
  • The 5th integral gives
    [tex]\int_{C_3}f(z)\,d\,z=-4^{-\alpha}\,i\,\pi[/tex]
  • The 2nd integral
    [tex]e^{-i\,\pi\,\alpha}\,\int_{-\infty}^0 \frac{d\,x}{x^\alpha(x+4)}=e^{-i\,\pi\,\alpha}\,J [/tex]

Now apply what is said in my previous post and you will calulate both

[tex]I=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^a(x-4)},\, J=\,\int_{-\infty}^0 \frac{d\,x}{x^\alpha(x+4)}[/tex]

This is a general trick, applied when you have a pole on the real line and the integral "passes" through it, i.e. Cauchy principal value.

Does this clears up things? :smile:

Rainbow Child said:
This is a general trick, applied when you have a pole on the real line and the integral "passes" through it, i.e. Cauchy principal value.

Does this clears up things? :smile:

I think I know why I had a concern that you didn't have. just a matter of how we interpreted the question:
you took it as "calculating the given integral, if it is not absolutely convergent then just find the PV of it"
while
I took it as "calculating the given integral as it is, if it is not absolutely convergent then...say it is not doable..."

ok, fair enough, i guess the PV would be useful anyway. But I did thought that since the singularity at +4 is non-removable, you probably can't evaluate the original integral in the same sense as you would evaluate, say

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^a(x+1)}dx = \frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi a)}[/tex]

which can be done (by using a keyhole contour which picks up the residue at -1) without resorting to just finding the PV.

Perhaps you see where I was coming from before, when I commented divergence etc. And since in the original post there is no mention of PV of the integral... I thought you are not meant to do that.. but in hindsight it is probably what the intention was.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation or total of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to calculate the area under a curve in a graph.

How do you calculate an integral?

The process of calculating an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the given interval. This is usually done using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

Why is calculating an integral important?

Integrals are essential in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to solve real-world problems by finding the exact or approximate value of a quantity over a given interval, which can provide valuable insights and predictions.

What are the different types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and represents a general function with a constant of integration.

What are some common applications of integrals?

Integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the work done by a force, finding the center of mass of an object, determining the volume of a solid, and computing probabilities in statistics. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.