Predicting Angular Momentum in Elastic Collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of predicting the angular consequences of an elastic collision between two rectangular objects, given their initial angular and linear velocities, mass, and moment of inertia. It is stated that the resulting angular velocities after the collision are highly dependent on how the objects strike each other. The use of conservation of momentum and energy is mentioned as a way to predict the motion of the objects after the collision, but it is also noted that the geometries of the objects and the collision itself can also affect the resulting direction of motion.
Aidman
Hi,

Is it possible to predict the “angular consequences” of an elastic collision? Let’s say we have two rectangular objects, A and B. Their original angular velocities and linear velocities, as well as mass and moment of inertia, are all known. Is it than possible to predict their angular velocities after they hit, knowing the collision-point? If so then how, because I can only figure out one equation, where both unknown angular velocities are stated:

I[A] * w[A](before) + I * w(before) = I[A] * w[A](after) + I * w(after)
where as w(after) and w[A](after) are unknown... any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What angle the two bodies will go flying off at after the collision is highly dependent on how they strike. Think about lining up a pool shot: the six ball is stationary, and the cue ball is traveling due north towards it at a certain speed. Depending on where on the six ball you hit it, the resulting velocity pairs may have directions of (for six ball and cue ball, respectively:) north and south, northwest and northeast, northeast and southwest, etc.

In a frictionless situation, I can use conservation of (all three) components of linear momentum to predict the motion of one of the balls after the collision *if I know the motions of BOTH balls before the collision and ONE of the balls after the collision.*

It's also true that you can predict which direction both balls will go in IF you know enough about their geometries and how the collision will occur. For example, I've done problems where you bounce a golf ball off of a bowling ball. By knowing where on the bowling ball it will hit, you can use ray geometry to predict which way it will bounce. Then, as I said above, you could use conservation of momentum to figure out what the bowling ball would do.

P

Originally posted by rocketcity
What angle the two bodies will go flying off at after the collision is highly dependent on how they strike. Think about lining up a pool shot: the six ball is stationary, and the cue ball is traveling due north towards it at a certain speed. Depending on where on the six ball you hit it, the resulting velocity pairs may have directions of (for six ball and cue ball, respectively:) north and south, northwest and northeast, northeast and southwest, etc.

In a frictionless situation, I can use conservation of (all three) components of linear momentum to predict the motion of one of the balls after the collision *if I know the motions of BOTH balls before the collision and ONE of the balls after the collision.*

It's also true that you can predict which direction both balls will go in IF you know enough about their geometries and how the collision will occur. For example, I've done problems where you bounce a golf ball off of a bowling ball. By knowing where on the bowling ball it will hit, you can use ray geometry to predict which way it will bounce. Then, as I said above, you could use conservation of momentum to figure out what the bowling ball would do.

P

Angular=rotational, wrong problem there.

To answer your question Aidman in a system with objects moving in a rotational matter (say two balls being swung on strings) the results of elastic collisions are the same as if the equations were between the poll balls describewd by rocket city. Momentum and Energy are both still conserved. You can use the same equations if you replace mas with moment of inertia, velocity with angular velocity, momentum with angular momentum, et al.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates around its axis). The formula is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What are the units of angular momentum?

The SI unit for angular momentum is kilogram-meter squared per second (kg·m²/s), but it can also be expressed in other units such as joule-seconds (J·s) or newton-meters per second (N·m/s).

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system (a system with no external forces acting on it), angular momentum is conserved, meaning it remains constant over time. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. This means that any changes in the angular momentum of one object must be offset by equal and opposite changes in the angular momentum of another object in the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum in daily life include the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a gyroscope, the swinging of a pendulum, and the spinning of a figure skater. Angular momentum is also important in understanding the movement of planets and galaxies in space.