1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating average energy and black body energy spectrum using Boltzman probability

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    The question is as follows:

The black body energy spectrum is [tex]\rho[/tex](T,v)dv=[tex]\frac{8\piv2<E(v)>}{c3}[/tex]dv where v is the frequency of the EM wave and <E(v)> is the average energy at v. Assuming the energy of a EM wave of v can only take multiples of hv, the from the Boltzman probability P(E)=exp(-E/kbT/[tex]\sumexp(-E/kbT[/tex]), calculate the average energy <E(v)>=[tex]\sumEP(E)[/tex] and [tex]\rho[/tex](T,v). Discuss the result in the limits of hv<<kbT and hv>>kbT, and compare the results with the Rayleigh-Jean Law and Wien's result.

I am fairly sure that answering this question intails basically deriving [tex]\rho[/tex](T,v) which involves putting the probabilty series within the average energy series. Then taking the simplified expression for average energy and inserting it into the black body spectrum equation. I know from online research that [tex]\rho[/tex](T,v)=[tex]\frac{2hv3}{c2}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{e\frac{hv}{kbT}-1}[/tex].

Basically I get to the point where <E>=-[tex]\partiallnZ[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex] where z=[tex]\sum[/tex]exp(-nhv[tex]\beta[/tex]) and [tex]\beta[/tex]=1/kbT.

I can see that if I am able to continue the derivation then the exp term can allow me to answer the questions about limit behavior. My problem is with finishing the derivation. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?