1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Average Power

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. Given that v(t) = -6 + 12 cos(2π200t + π/4) - 9 cos(2π400t + π/6) volts. The signal is applied to a 14 kΩ resistor. Find the average power dissipated on the resistor in mW. Round your answer off to two decimal places.

2. Pavg = (sqrt(Vdc^2 + vp^2/2))/R

3. I used the above equation just P=Vrms^2/R to calculate the power, this is wrong and I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's vp? How did you combine the two cos() terms to get one AC term?

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    I did not combine them i just added them together. vp is meant to be the the voltage peak. It would be 12 and -9.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

berkeman

That's not correct. You need to combine the AC components to get a resultant AC waveform. What if the phases of the two AC waveforms are exactly 180 degrees apart? You will not get a very big AC waveform then.

The frequencies of the AC components are the same, so you can use Phasors to solve this question...

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5
    Is that the only way to do this question, I do not believe we have done phasors in class, also how are the frequencies the same?

7. Mar 18, 2013 #6

berkeman

Oh, oops, you are right. They are off by a factor of two.

8. Mar 18, 2013 #7
    I just got the right answer I used power spectrum and did Vrms^2 and added all the individual signal powers up. On the sinusoidal waveforms I divided by 2 Vrms^2/2 I am not sure why, it said that in my notes. Why did they divide by 2?

Thanks for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted