1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Binary Star Masses

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I wasn't sure whether I should post this is the homework section since it's technically a textbook problem, but I figured I'd get better responses here. The problem is as follows:

Sirius is a visual binary with a period of 49.94 years. Its measured parallax is .37931"## \pm ##.00158", and the angular extent of the semimajor axis of the reduced mass is 7.61". The ratio of the distances of Sirius A and B to the center of mass is ## a_A / a_B = .466 ##. Find the masses of the two stars, assuming that the motion is in the plane of the sky.

First, you can use the ratio to get ## m_A / m_B = 1/.466 = 2.146##. I'm pretty sure I next have to use the 7.61", but I don't know how. After that, I would have all the unknowns in Kepler's third except the masses, so I could solve the system. So how do I get the semimajor axis of the smaller star?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Textbook questions belong to the homework section. I moved it with a redirect in the original forum.

Okay.
    This is related to the true semi-major axis of the system, if you know the distance. There is another parameter given that allows to calculate the distance.

Find the semi-major axis of the reduced mass first.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3
    Using the parallactic angle yields ## d [pc] = 1/p" = 1/.37921 = 2.6363 pc##. Now what?

By the way, the "reduced mass" just refers to the star with lower mass, right?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Mar 15, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You got an angle (as seen from earth) and a distance...

No.

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5
    Yeah, my bad... 7.61" = a / 2.636 pc ---> a = 3.00 E12 after converting 7.61" to rad and 2.636 to m. So is this the same a that goes in kepler's third equation? Or do I have to go back and use the semimajor axis ratio that I was given

7. Mar 15, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Should be. Check the link to the reduced mass.
    There was no given semi-major axis, you had to calculate it.

8. Mar 16, 2014 #7
    Got it. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted