1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Centripetal force

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. A bird of mass 0.211kg pulls out of a dive, the bottom of which can be considered to be a circular arc with a radius of 25.6m. At the bottom of the arc, the bird's speed is a constant 21.7m/s. Determine the magnitude of the upward lift on the bird's wings at the bottom of the arc.

I am pretty sure that Fc= -4(pi squared)(r)(m)(f) / Tsquared

and... Fc= -mv squared / r

r= radius, m= mass, Fc = centripetal force

3. Ok so I don't understand what it means by "pulling out of a dive", I mean is that supposed to be part of the arc? This question is put under the heading centripetal force in my textbook but I don't understand how it is centripetal. Furthermore, if all is well, does it come down to the question being as simple as subbing in the values to the equation I have here.

Also, can anybody tell me how the centripetal force equation is derived from F=MA? I am lost on that too.:blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    On the bottom of the dive there is the upward lift force pulling it up and also gravity pulling the bird down. so Fc= Upward lift force - Fg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?