1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating change in momemtum , impulse, and average force of a person in a car.

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1.A 70 kg front seat passenger is in a car moving initially at 24m/s and is brought to rest by an airbag in 0.4 seconds after a crash.

2. What is the change of momentum of the person in the car

3. mΔv = (70kg)(24m/s) = 1680kg m/s

Am I calculating this right? Is FΔt=mΔv interchangeable depending on the given information?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi cstatepat! welcome to pf! :wink:
    yes :smile:
    not following you :confused:

∫ F dt is impulse

if F is constant, that's the same as F∆t​

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

Thank you for the warm welcome! :biggrin:

What I am trying to say is if I am trying to calculate the impulse and I look at my equations FΔt or mΔv based on the information the questions gives me I can use either equation to calculate impulse? For example the question I asked didn't have a given for F so therefore I would try to find the impulse using mΔv.

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh i see!

yes, exam questions do that …

sometimes they give you the data for one side of an equation, sometimes the other side …

you have to look at what they give you, and work with that! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook