1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Charge (Q)

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello;

I just wanted to clarify whether I am using this formula correctly. By definition, current is the rate of flow of charge. In other words, its how much charge flows per second. One amp (1 A) is equal to one coulomb per second (1 C/s). Charge and current are related by the equation: I = ΔQ/ΔT.

1) A battery supplies 10 C over a period of 50 seconds. What is the current?

My answer: Given the formula above, I = 10 coulombs / 50 seconds = 0.2 A. Is this correct?

2) Another battery is connected for 2 minutes and provided a current of 0.4 A. How much charge flowed?

My answer;

0.4 = Q/120
    Q = 0.4*120 = 48 C

3) A car battery has a capacity of 24 Ah (amp hours). If it provides a current of 48A how long can it be used for? How much charge (in coulombs) does it contain?

My answer: Not completely sure about this question, but I think that the car battery can be used for 2 hours. As for the latter question, I don't understand... how do I convert from amp hours to amps?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answers to 1 and 2 are correct. An amp-hour is current multiplied by time. What physical quantity do you get when you do that?

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello;

Yeah I thought about that but I ended up getting 1 amp per 150 seconds, which isn't much help... but 1 amp is 1 C/s. How can I use that in my formula?

Also, I said that the battery can be used for 2 hours, but is it actually 0.5 hours? If the battery has a capacity of 24 Ah, so if 48*time = 24, 24/48 = 0.5?

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once more, what physical quantity do you get when you multiply amps with hours?

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Oh... 1 coulomb. How could I not see that...

So is the answer 2 coulombs?

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. To get coulombs, you need to multiply amps by seconds, not hours.

8. Mar 23, 2010 #7

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

2 hours = 3600*2 = 7200 seconds.

So the answer is 7200 coulombs?

9. Mar 23, 2010 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you multiplying by 2? What is the rating of the battery in amp-hrs?

10. Mar 23, 2010 #9

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Whoops. If it provides 48A, then it will be using twice as much current and thus will last for half the time, so 0.5 hours. 0.5 hours in seconds is 1800 seconds, so is it 1800 coulombs?

11. Mar 23, 2010 #10

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One more time. To get Coulombs you multiply amps with seconds. You have 1800 s, how many amps does the battery provide during this time?

12. Mar 23, 2010 #11

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

48*1800 = 86400 coulombs

13. Mar 23, 2010 #12

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

14. Mar 23, 2010 #13

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Little bit unrelated, but Watts work in the same way, correct? Watts = Joules / seconds, so to find J I'd have to multiply watts by seconds...?

15. Mar 23, 2010 #14

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Precisely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook