1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating compound interest

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have borrowed $100. The interest rate is 5% per year compounded semiannually. How much will I have to pay the bank after 1 year?

2. Relevant equations

##F=P(1+i)^{ n }##, where i is the effective interest rate per period and n represents the number of periods

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I get the effective interest rate per period?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Shouldn't that just be the nominal annual rate (5%) divided by the number of compounding periods? What's the number of periods here?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  4. Feb 14, 2014 #3
    The textbook says that 5% interest every year compounded semiannually is the same as 2.5% interest every 6 months. But I don't understand how they're equivalent. How can you just divide by two?

5. Feb 14, 2014 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Because this is apparently how economists and finance people think. :yuck:

The 5% is called a 'nominal' *annual* rate. Dividing it by the number of compounding periods gives you an 'effective' *period* rate. Applying an exponential formula to it will give you the 'effective' *annual* rate.

That 5% quoted to you is actually a "fake" rate, meant to lull you into a false sense of security. The 2.5% every 6 months is a real thing, and it's simple to work out the actual compound interest you'll be paying at the end of the year. When you do the calculation, you'll find it's actually a little higher than 5%. That's basically how they pull the wool over your eyes when you take a loan without realising how much you'll actually end up owing. Of course, it works in your favour if you're actually investing and those are returns rather than a debt you're repaying.

You can look all this up easily on the web. It's just a matter of getting used to the (dumb) terminology.

6. Feb 14, 2014 #5
    Ah, that explains why there were no formulas that dealt with nominal interest rates - only effective interest rates. Thanks for the clarification.

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right to be confused: 2.5% compounded twice produces a true annual interest rate of about 5.0625%. Nevertheless, the convention suggested in your problem is the one that is used throughout the banking and finance industries. So, a mortgage with 12% annual rate, compounded monthly, yields 1% per month---by the definitions of the financial world---which amounts to an 'actual' annual rate of about 12.6825%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted