Calculating concentration of diluted solution by titration

In summary, when calculating the concentration of a diluted solution, you must use the total volume of the solution, including any added volumes from dilution. In this case, the total volume would be 21mL.
fishfish

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm a bit confused with which volume to use when calculating the concentration of a diluted solution. In my problem, we're given an unknown concentration of H2O2 to titrate with a given concentration of KMnO4 solution. I have calculated the number of moles of H2SO4 in the solution to be 6.8244 x 10-4 moles, but I'm confused as to which volume to use to calculate the concentration. The original volume of H2O2 used was 1 mL, but it was diluted with 20mL of water. Do I use 1mL as my volume or do I use 21mL?

Homework Equations

c=n/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, you would use 21mL as your volume. This is because the solution was diluted with an additional 20mL of water, so the total volume of the solution that you're working with is now 21mL. Therefore, you would use this volume when calculating the concentration of H2SO4 in the solution.

What is titration and how is it used to calculate concentration of a diluted solution?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves gradually adding a solution of known concentration (titrant) to a solution of unknown concentration until a reaction occurs. The point at which the reaction is complete is called the equivalence point, and it can be used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

What equipment is needed for titration?

The equipment needed for titration includes a burette, which is used to measure and dispense the titrant, a flask or beaker to hold the unknown solution, and a pH indicator to determine when the reaction is complete. A pipette may also be used to accurately measure the volume of the unknown solution.

How do you calculate the concentration of a diluted solution by titration?

To calculate the concentration of a diluted solution by titration, you will need to know the volume of the titrant used, the molarity (concentration) of the titrant, and the volume of the unknown solution. Using the equation M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the molarity of the titrant, V1 is the volume of the titrant used, M2 is the molarity of the unknown solution, and V2 is the volume of the unknown solution, you can solve for M2 to determine the concentration of the unknown solution.

What are some common sources of error in titration?

Some common sources of error in titration include inaccurate measurements of the volumes of the solutions used, errors in reading the burette or pipette, and contamination of the solutions. It is important to be careful and precise when measuring and recording volumes, and to ensure that the solutions are not contaminated.

What are some tips for ensuring accurate results in titration?

To ensure accurate results in titration, it is important to calibrate and properly use all equipment, carefully measure and record volumes, and repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency. It is also important to use fresh solutions and to avoid contamination by using clean equipment and following proper laboratory techniques.