1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Cross Section

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem in calculating cross-section in elektron-positron -> muon-antimuon scattering.

2. Relevant equations
    In the relativistic limit, we find the differential cross-section of {e}+{e^-} -> {μ}+{μ^-} is

\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{\alpha^2}{4s}*(1+cos^2{\theta}).

When I integrating over \theta, i get an answer:

\sigma=\frac{3*\pi*\alpha^2}{8*s},

but that is not the correct answer. Due to my reference (Halzen and Martin), the answer should be

\sigma=\frac{4*\pi*\alpha^2}{3*s}.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone help me through this problem? My intuition said I have mistaken the integration. But I've tried to re-integral-ing it, still not come up with correct solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello,

Is ##d\Omega## just ##d\theta## or has ##\phi## something to do with it too ?

Anyway, show your steps in detail, please. That makaes it easier to follow and point out where things may go wrong...

4. Jul 26, 2016 #3

Hello Mr., thank you for your respond.

In my first reference (Halzen and Martin), the instructor is to integrate over ##\theta## and ##\phi##. Here is my doodling:

$$ \sigma = \frac{\alpha^2}{4s}\int{(1+cos^2{\theta})}d\theta d\phi $$

Substituting the trigonometry identity,

$$ \sigma = \frac{\alpha^2}{4s} \int {\frac{(3+cos{2\theta})}{2}} d\theta d\phi $$.

Dividing the integration,

$$ \int 3 d\theta d\phi , \quad \int {cos{2\theta}}d\theta d\phi $$

and integrating from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ## for ##\theta##, ##0## to ##2\pi## fpr ##\phi##. The second term is vanish, so I have

$$ \int 3 d\theta d\phi=3(\pi)(2\pi)$$.

Thus, when inserting to ## \sigma ##, I have

$$ \sigma = \frac{3\pi^2\alpha^2}{4s} $$.

Using my second ref (Schwartz), the integration just applied over ##\theta## and I get

$$ \sigma = \frac{3\pi\alpha^2}{8s}$$.

Which step do I miss?

5. Jul 26, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I remember well, ##d\Omega \ne d\phi d\theta ## because then you would end up with ##2\pi^2## where you expect ##4\pi## . Wasn't it ##d\Omega = \sin\theta \;d\theta d\phi ## ?

6. Jul 26, 2016 #5
    Speechless. That's true Mr. Thank you very much. (shy)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted