Calculate Current: Voltage/Resistance

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for current, but is having difficulty. They write down all the known and unknown values, and solve for I using the basic formulas.
Meezus

Homework Statement

e0nyvsI.jpg

Homework Equations

Current = Voltage / Resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this requires me using the formula Current = Voltage / Resistance, but I'm confused to which measurements I use. I think possibly I take 0.9 from 5 volts then do 4.1 / 10000?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the voltage division formula?

If not, what is the total voltage drop? What is the total resistance? What is the current?

axmls said:
Do you know the voltage division formula?

If not, what is the total voltage drop? What is the total resistance? What is the current?

No, I'm not aware of voltage division. How am I able to calculator any of those with an unknown resistor in the circuit?

By using the variable name for the resistor.

axmls said:
By using the variable name for the resistor.

so resistance drop: 10k - R2?
Total Resistance: 10k + R2?
Current equals: 5 / 10 + R2?

Sorry I'm not really sure.

That's right (assuming you meant 5/(10k + R2)). One note though is that there's no meaning behind "resistance drop."

So you've got an expression for the current. Now, if you can find another expression for current, you could possible equate those, and maybe then you could solve for R2. Can you find another expression for the current in that loop?

axmls said:
That's right (assuming you meant 5/(10k + R2)). One note though is that there's no meaning behind "resistance drop."

So you've got an expression for the current. Now, if you can find another expression for current, you could possible equate those, and maybe then you could solve for R2. Can you find another expression for the current in that loop?

Sorry I'm looking for other expressions involving current but not having much luck. I'm meant to be looking for formula for current correct?

You know the formula for current: it's I = V/R. You have one expression for current that you found above. Now, notice that if you were to find another expression for current, you would have V'/R' = V/R for some voltage V' and resistance R' (since the current is the same throughout the loop). Now, if you want to find that resistance...

Likes Meezus
[Mentor note: Quoted complete solution deleted]

While I'm sure the OP appreciates your help, it is against the policies of the forum to outright post the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In serie configuration, you know that current is same and tension is spread out accordingly to resistance of each components and vice-versa for parallel connections.

Which gives us It = I1 = I2

I will share with you my method to easily solve all equation problems. I simply write down all the know and unknown values of each relevant components and simply fill out the blanks. In this simple problem, you only have to go with the 3 basics, aka tension (E), current (I) and resistance (R). But you could also add impedance (Z), power (W) and if they asked you for a time, energy (J), Coulombs (Q), time in seconds (T), and if there was windings and capacitors, you'll have coil impedance (Xl) and capacitor impedance (Xc) and finally the impedance power (S).

So here we go :

Et = 5v
E1 = ?
E2 = 0,9v
It = ?
I1 = ?
I2 = ?
Rt = ?
R1 = 10 kΩ
R2 = ?

Now it's up to you to fill in the blanks using the formula's learned in school.

1. What is the formula for calculating current?

The formula for calculating current is I = V/R, where I represents current in amperes (A), V represents voltage in volts (V), and R represents resistance in ohms (Ω).

2. How do I determine the voltage in a circuit?

To determine the voltage in a circuit, you can use a voltmeter to measure the potential difference between two points in the circuit. Alternatively, you can use the formula V = IR, where V represents voltage, I represents current, and R represents resistance.

3. What is resistance and how does it affect current?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω). The higher the resistance, the lower the current will be. This is because as resistance increases, the voltage required to maintain a certain current also increases.

4. How does the length and thickness of a wire affect current?

The length and thickness of a wire can affect current by changing the resistance of the wire. Longer wires have higher resistance, which decreases current. Thicker wires have lower resistance, which increases current. This is because a longer wire has more atoms for electrons to collide with, and a thicker wire has a larger cross-sectional area for electrons to flow through.

5. Can current flow through an open circuit?

No, current cannot flow through an open circuit. An open circuit is a circuit that is not complete, meaning there is a gap or break in the path for the current to flow. Without a complete path, the flow of electrons is interrupted and no current can be established.