Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Deflection

Tags:
  1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    Hello PF,

First time here posting. So I have a question about trying to calculate the deflection of this prismatic beam by hand using superposition. I know I can figure it out in SolidWorks, but I also want to know I would do it by hand, or at least the general process. The angled bar b is really throwing me off.

So when calculating the total deflection, δT, at end of bar a, is it the sum of the deflections due to beam a, b, and c?

Can I assume the angular deflection, θ, are the same for bars a, b, and c?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The structure is statically determinate, so you can find the loads on the end of each part.

If you start with part a, the loads on the top end are a compressive force and a bending moment, so you can find the deflections and the rotation.

Then at the other end of part b, you have the deflections caused by part b bending, plus the rigid body motion because the end of part a has moved and rotated.

Similarly for part c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook