1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Dew-point from RH & Temp

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    >>Anyone know the formula for this? Haven't been able to find one on the net that works out when you run the numbers through a psychrometric chart. Any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

If I remembers it correctly ??

Due point is the temperature at which the moisture present in the air at room temperature is sufficient to saturate it.
    As quantity of unsaturated moisture in the air is not changing till the due point, by decreasing temperature, vapour pressure remains constant. Hence

RH = unsaturated vapour pressure at room temp./ saturated V.P.at room temp.
    = saturated v.P. at due point/saturated V.P. at room temp.

The experimental values of Saturated vapour pressure at different temperatures are given in the tables.

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    >>Okay, lesse. Since I know the temp. in the space, I can approximate my saturation vapor pressure (Temp>0 and constant).

>>Do you know by how much?
    Then since I know the RH in the space and now know the saturation vapor pressure I can get the unsaturated vapor pressure in the space. But how do I use that data to determine the dew-point temp at which saturated equals actual i.e. RH=100?

5. Sep 28, 2005 #4

mukundpa

Homework Helper

I got a table in an old booK for saturated vapour pressure, see if this can help you..

Temp. in deg C -- SVP in mm of Hg
    -10--2.1
    -5--3.1
    0--4.6
    5--6.5
    10--9.2
    20--17.5
    30--31.7
    40--55.1
    50--92.3
    60--149.2
    70--233.5
    80--355.1
    90--525.8
    100--760
    110--1074.5
    120--1489
    150--3569
    200--11647

Inbetween the two given temperatures it is calculated by finding the rate of increase in that range x increase in temp.
    (The image file was too large to be attached)

6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    >>Thanks mukundpa!
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?