1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating doppler shift

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    A police car is traveling at a constant speed of 100. km/h with a radar gun which generates and detects radiowaves. The police car and the ambulance drive directly towards each other. The radar gun produces radiowaves with a wavelength of 0.0650 m.

What doppler shift (Δf = f′–f) is detected by the radar gun after the radiowave has been reflected by the ambulance?

I don't really know what to do. Do I use the relative speed between the police car and ambulance which is 180kmph? The right answer is 1540 Hz.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to walk yourself through the steps - the police car is acting as a transmitter of the original wave, and a receiver of the reflected wave, and it's moving.

Personally, since radio waves are light, I'd use the relative speed and the relativistic Doppler shift. F it were sound you may have to account for the medium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook