Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating doppler shift

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    A police car is traveling at a constant speed of 100. km/h with a radar gun which generates and detects radiowaves. The police car and the ambulance drive directly towards each other. The radar gun produces radiowaves with a wavelength of 0.0650 m.

What doppler shift (Δf = f′–f) is detected by the radar gun after the radiowave has been reflected by the ambulance?

I don't really know what to do. Do I use the relative speed between the police car and ambulance which is 180kmph? The right answer is 1540 Hz.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to walk yourself through the steps - the police car is acting as a transmitter of the original wave, and a receiver of the reflected wave, and it's moving.

Personally, since radio waves are light, I'd use the relative speed and the relativistic Doppler shift. F it were sound you may have to account for the medium.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook