1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating E field generated by spherically symmetric charged sphere (Gauss' law?)

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the electric field generated by a spherically symmetric charged sphere of radius R with charge density of [itex]\rho = kr^{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\oint _S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that this question involves the application of Gauss' law but I don't really know how? To be honest I'm a bit sketchy on applying Gauss' law to any question. Any help would really be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2011 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Calculating E field generated by spherically symmetric charged sphere (Gauss' law

Imagine a Gaussian sphere of radius r, centered on the actual sphere of charge. What would the surface integral of E*dA be, in terms of r? Remember that due to symmetry, the electric field has to be constant for constant r, and must be entirely radial.

Using integration, can you also find Q_enclosed for this Gaussian sphere?

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3
    Re: Calculating E field generated by spherically symmetric charged sphere (Gauss' law

OK, by integration I've found the charge enclosed by the sphere to be (4pi*k*r^5)/5, but I'm not really sure where to go from here?

From
    [itex]\oint _S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]
    I can see that I need to divide the charge enclosed by epsilon 0 then equate to the surface integral of E*da, but I'm not really sure how to calculate the surface integral of E*da?
    Thanks

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4

Ok, I've now been told that the surface integral of E*dA in this case goes to E(4pi*r^2) but I'm still not totally sure why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook