1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating E-field of Uniformly Charged Sphere

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    I need to calculate the electric field both inside and outside a sphere with a charge density p. The trick is I am required to use Coulomb's Law. I cannot appeal to Gauss' Law.

My instructor suggests considering the electric field due to a ring of charge. Then to use that result to find the electric field of a spherical shell. Finally, I will use that result to find the electric field due to a sphere.

I've done the first part with no problems, and my answer checks with the book. (R=radius of ring, r=distance along axis of ring)
    [tex]E=\frac{Qr}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 (r^2+R^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
    However, I am stuck on how to use this result to find the E field due to a spherical shell.

I begin by considering a "ring element" of radius r and I consider a point on the x-axis (which happens to coincide with the axis of the ring). I need to find the dE associated with this ring element, but it's not so simple. It should be [tex]dE=\frac{dQ(d-x)}{4\pi\epsilon_0((d-x)^2+r^2)^{3/2}}[/tex] (d=x-coordinate of given point on x-axis, x=x-coordinate of plane through ring, r=ring radius) (this isn't showing up correctly: it's missing "dE" and "dQ") Here dQ, x, r are all changing and when I plug in the relations between them I get an ugly integral, that doesn't appear to come out with the 1/r^2 dependence. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted